(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Rear Outlet Toilets Kohler Barrington or Caroma Sydney Smart Back Outlet Round Front

Default Rear Outlet Toilets Kohler Barrington or Caroma Sydney Smart Back Outlet Round Front

I'm going to be installing a rear outlet toilet in my basement shortly. It'll discharge horizontally after a 90 degree bend into the sewer outlet in the foundation wall. The distance from the 90 degree bend to the wall is about 20" and the pipe has the proper slope. The pipe is 4" PVC by the outlet and goes to a 3" PVC "T" at the toilet flange.
    I bought a Kohler Barrington a 2 weeks ago but I'm now contemplating returning it and buying a Caroma Sydney rear outlet. The main reason is that its a little shorter and the more important reason is that I haven't read much on the quality of the Kohler whereas the Caroma seems to get to reviews here.
    What do you all think?

Thanks!
    Paul

Kohler Barrington below with Flushmate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 04-16-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is any difference in quality between Caroma and Kohler.
    They have about the same amount of problems for me.

The Barrington is a floor mount rear outlet bowl.
    Flushmate pressure assist

The Caroma has a wall mounted bowl with an in-wall tank.

They will install and look very different.

Hi Terry. Thanks for the reply. I love your site BTW. EXTREMELY helpful!

I think you're thinking of a different Caroma toilet. The one I'm interested in is also a floor mount. And the tank is not in wall..

http://www.caromausa.com/products/in...products72.php

Thanks again!

Name:  sydney_smart_back_1.jpg
Views: 4302
Size:  9.3 KB
    Last edited by Terry; 05-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

That is a new model.
    So, it has some sort of tube that connects the back of the bowl to the wall flange?

Sydney Smart Back Outlet

http://www.caromausa.com/database/fi..._Sept_2010.pdf

Last edited by Terry; 05-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.

This Caroma is a European-style rear-outlet toilet. The outlet is 7 1/4 inches (centerline) above floor and connects with a rubber compression-coupling thingy. Quite different from a US style rear-outlet bowl.

Seems potentially very useful for a situation where a stack is accessible but installing a floor flange would be a big project.

Well. I bought the Caroma and will be returning the Kohler. The Caroma won because its smaller and cheaper. I'll be sure to report back when intalled.
    Thanks!

Could you post where you bought the Caroma and what you paid for it? I'm also curious to know about the material that angled fitting is made out of. Is it plastic? Do you see it once the toilet is installed?

Quote Originally Posted by paulyjsob View Post
    Well. I bought the Caroma and will be returning the Kohler. The Caroma won because its smaller and cheaper. I'll be sure to report back when intalled.
    Thanks!
    How did the Caroma work out? I'm looking at rear discharge toilets right now and the Caroma is on my list. Also, did you use the adapter that connects the toilet to the wall flange? In my application I'd prefer to keep the toilet as low as possible and not put my flange at teh 4" mark, but instead closer to the discharge height minus some slope?
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 12-11-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: added a question

Blog Entries

I'd prefer to keep the toilet as low as possible and not put my flange at teh 4" mark, but instead closer to the discharge height minus some slope?
    Then you better have the bowl on site first, and do the checking before you rough that in.
    If you change the height, you will have to swivel the adapter at an angle, putting the bowl off center in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Then you better have the bowl on site first, and do the checking before you rough that in.
    If you change the height, you will have to swivel the adapter at an angle, putting the bowl off center in that location.
    Great point. I ended up ordering a Saniflo 003 and extensiuon tube, after speaking with a tech at Saniflo who assured me the toilet would work without the macerator as long as the gravity pitch was correct. The Saniflo extension tube is straight vs. the offset of the Caroma.