Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Comparing the four models from Toto. Aquia, Drake, Drake II and Vespin II

Some people ask which toilet should they get between the four.
It's kind of a personal taste thing.
They both work very nicely.
And they are originally from different parts of the world.

The first Aquia toilets we were installing were from Thailand.
Skirted bowl, with small water spot.
The flush is a washdown, meaning that all of the water for the flush pours in from holes under the rim of the upper bowl.
The holes are cut at an angle, so the water swirls around the bowl as it flushes.

aquia_angle.jpg

TOTO Aquia CST414M

The Drake was designed in the US, with a larger water spot.
The flush works on siphon.
Most of the water enters their lower trapway from an opening down low.
The water pours in below the surface, starting the bowl to siphon, and then the surface of the water in the bowl collapses and disappears down the drain.
Some of the water is diverted to the rim holes under the rim, they are cut straight so the water rinses straight down the bowl.

The Drake II has a similar bowl to the Drake, except that instead of many rim holes tucked under the rim, it uses two rinse outlets, that angle horizontally, with two rinse jets circling the bowl.
They call that double cyclone rinse.

cst454_zoom.jpg

TOTO Drake II CST454CEFG, Universal height, CEFIONTECT, Double Cyclone

The Vespin II, is like the Drake II, except that the bowl is also skirted.

cst474_angle.jpg

TOTO Vespin II, CST474CEFG

The Vespin II and the Drake II comes standard with CEFIONTECT in the whites and off whites, Bone and Beige.
The original Drake can be ordered with CEFIONTECT in the Cotton White as an option.

The Drake I, the original

toto_drake_buyonsale.jpg

[video=youtube;NGWWEoXlCxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWWEoXlCxM[/video]

Last edited:

Jian143

Reaction score
Go for the TOTO Drake II :)

I went with the TOTO Drake II. My friend and her husband just purchased it and only had good things to say about it.

I went with the Cotton Finish rather than Bone finish...I'm very picky when it comes to finishes/colors. It was easy to match with my bathroom decor. The best part is that I save water and the flushing power is great!

If you are looking for the right toilet...go with the TOTO Drake II!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaynaDeck

Reaction score
Does anyone know how ecofriendly this toilet is? Does it really save money on water? How can you know? I went to purchase this item and held off. The price was great but wanted to check out the specs. Any info would be great!

I went with the TOTO Drake II. My friend and her husband just purchased it and only had good things to say about it.

I went with the Cotton Finish rather than Bone finish...I'm very picky when it comes to finishes/colors. It was easy to match with my bathroom decor. The best part is that I save water and the flushing power is great!

If you are looking for the right toilet...go with the TOTO Drake II!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Molo

Reaction score
Toto Drake vs. Toto Aquia

This is new construction and I have several comparison questions. The item numbers are listed below.

1. TOTO Drake vs. Aquia - The Drake has an awesome reputation for flushing (throw away your plunger). Does the Aquia flush as well?

3. TOTO Drake CST743E-01 - Is the only difference between these two the elongated bowl?
TOTO Drake CST744E-01

4. TOTO Aquia I Dual Flush Toilet - Is the only difference between these two the elongated bowl?
TOTO Aquia II Dual Flush Toilet

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1. TOTO Drake vs. Aquia - The Drake has an awesome reputation for flushing (throw away your plunger). Does the Aquia flush as well?

The Aquia flushes well too. I've sold over 300 of the Aquia toilets and they have worked well.

3. TOTO Drake CST743E-01 - Is the only difference between these two the elongated bowl?
TOTO Drake CST744E-01

743 is round
744 is elongated
E = 1.28 tank
S = 1.60 tank
Both of these are 14-5/8" high.
L = 16-1/2" high bowl
F = 16-1/8" high bowl
G = CEFIONTECT

4. TOTO Aquia I Dual Flush Toilet - Is the only difference between these two the elongated bowl?
TOTO Aquia II Dual Flush Toilet

Aquia I, CST414M, elongated, 15-1/8" high
Aquia II, CST416M, elongated, 15-1/8" high
Aquia III, CST464MF, elongated, 16-1/8" high
Aquia CST412MF, elongated, 16-1/8" high
Aquia 10" CST412MF.10 elongated, 16-1/8" high

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In reply to Shayna Deck's question regarding how eco friendly the Drake II is. It is very friendly. In theory all low flow toilets should be eco friendly, but in truth many are not and here's why. Many of them don't flush all of the debris on the first flush. So, flush a second time and there goes the eco friendly down the drain. (Pun intended) I have two Totos in my home and have never had to flush either one a second time. I know it is hard to believe at low flow toilets actually can perform, there were many very bad experiences when these first came out. Unfortunately, some manufactures still are turning out products that don't perform well, but Totos do what a toilet should do.

netsmets

Reaction score
Vespin II - love the look, but issue with odor

Comparing the four models from Toto. Aquia, Drake, Drake II and Vespin II

The Vespin II, is like the Drake II, except that the bowl is also skirted.

While I love the look of the Vespin II the best, we are having an issue with two of our bathrooms that share a sewer drain pipe. Installed the Vespin II in three of our bathrooms. The one bath that is by itself is fine. The two upstairs baths that share a sewer drain pipe have a sewer smell in the baths when you keep the door & windows closed. Plumber came back out and tried to seal up the install locations better, but to no avail. Any tips or recommendations to troubleshoot? Would getting a different Toto base help? (Is the Drake II different enough to eliminate issue?)

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The shower and or vanity may not be properly vented. An open trap (siphoned dry) is an open path to the sewer. Back-to-back toilet installations can allow cross-over, and lower the bowl's water level. If it gets low enough, it could allow sewer gasses to escape. Older toilets flushed slower...newer ones need to go much faster with the the requirement for lower volume.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There haven't been issues wiith sewer gas on these.
I have a Vesping II installed. It's great. I would be looking at other things in the bathroom.

Smells can come from floors or walls too. I did one bath remodel that had bad smells inside the wall. When I pulled the drywall off, I found a nest with dead mice, and plenty of urine left by little rat tailed critters. When I was done sealing the interior walls and replaced the drywall, the smells were history.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If the plumber did the kind of competent job that we expect real plumbers to do when installing a product like this (i.e. reading the directions and following them, or, like Terry, doing so many Unifit adapter installations he should have a merit badge for it), there should be no issue with sewer smell. None. I'm a bit mystified as to why the plumber thought he should "tighten up the installation". It's like any other plumbing fixture put over a flange. If the wax ring is in place properly (and it isn't hard to do that) on the Unifit/flange connection, and there's water in the bowl, there will be no sewer smell.

Jim may be correct that if the two toilets share a pipe and aren't properly vented or aren't connected with the proper connector (i.e. an issue with the plumbing that previously-existed) it is possible that flushing one toilet lowers the water level in the bowl of another. It is possible (although not probable) that it would lower it enough to break the seal created by the water in the bowl; it would have to lower the water level to the point that it no longer completely-covers the hole in the bottom of the toilet to eliminate the seal. That's unlikely-but-possible. I returned to my City apartment after a two-week absence once to find that the water in the toilet had been lowered to that level, and I could smell sewer gas. Flush. Refill. Problem solved. (The reason it was happening now rather than a few years ago is that the building has been installing more-water-efficient toilets, and I sometimes see my water move a bit when I hear someone flush on the floor above, something that didn't happen previously.)

So, Terry is right that it is most-likely coincidental and the result of another issue, but, if not, it's not likely to be the way the toilets are mounted to the flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks