Had dinner with my cousin the other night and the subject of water softening came up. I have a "typical" Fleck 5600 controlled water softening system, with a freestanding 8" resin tank, and a seperate freestanding brine tank.

He mentioned that I should look at a Culligan -- that they're the best -- and that it would make the water taste better. My initial response, was "it's the same thing." My impression was that they're all functionally identical in terms of how they condition the water -- that as long as they're set up and installed properly, with the proper settings, etc. there's really no big difference between them other than cost, and who provides service (should you need it) down the road.

Am I right, or is there a real difference in terms of what they do?

Thanks in advance