(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How to turn on sprinkler pump? (novice=may be an easy answer!)

Question How to turn on sprinkler pump? (novice=may be an easy answer!)

Hi All,

I'm a new homeowner with a sprinkler system, that also has a pump (due to low pressure on city water). Although I've opened up sprinkler systems before without a pump, I do consider myself a novice. Currently, water does flow through the sprinkler heads, but with low pressure, while noticing the pump not turning on.

I noticed the pump is connected to a relay box, which is also connected to the sprinkler control box. The control box and the relay are both plugged into a working outlet, but the pump does not turn on....making me think there is a simple switch to turn it on, that I'm not finding? If so, would anyone know where I can find that switch?

The pump is: Myers model # RJ50S (The sprinkler control is Rain Dial RD900-INT).

Would anyone know how to turn on the Myers RJ50S pump, or where the pump's on/off switch is?

Thanks,
    cg

Irrigation Contractor Fireguy97's Avatar

Normally the pump would be activated by your controller. When you sprinkler schedule starts, your pump will start. When you turned on your system did you start the zones from your controller, or manually from the zone valves?

Since most of us haven't been to your home, I might suggest that for this time, you get the Irrigation Contractor that installed the system in to start up for the year. This way you will be able to watch him and be able to ask your questions.

Someone is still going to have to come in to test your backflow prevention assembly.

Mick

DIY Member

Be sure to check inside the wiring compartment of the controller to be sure the pump relay switch wire is connected to the "pump" terminal. sometimes this wire is disconnected during shutdown so the pump won't come on during a winterization process.

Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech

Also check the programming of the controller. With the controller that I have, you can set to turn on the 'pump start relay' per individual zone.