Water Pressure Drops

Users who are viewing this thread

lanatf12

Reaction score
Hello, I own a 2 story house both upper and lower units are separate. My problem is when someone from downstairs flushes the toilet or uses the shower or bath the water pressure drops upstairs in both the bathroom and kitchen. Every other time the water pressure is fine, it' just when someone uses something downstairs. I live in the city as well so I called the water company and they came and left so fast it wasnt even funny. They said as long as the first floor is good then they cant help at all which I think is not entirely true.

If anyone has any helpful info please respond and thanks for reading.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Without seeing more details of the plumbing, it is certainly possible that old galvanized pipes are blocking water flow, so that when you run water downstairs, the upstairs is affected.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like it's time for a repipe.
That's the homeowners responsibility.
The city provides water to the meter, and after that, it's up to the homeowner to install proper sized pipes and to keep them maintained.
If the pipes are galvanized, they should have been replaced decades ago.

lanatf12

Reaction score
Im not sure of the supply line? However the pressure is fine at times so I dont think it's logical that it would be galvanized pipes, because if it were wouldnt the pressure always be low? Im still leaning toward some valve not being opened completely or something. How can I tell what supply line I am running?

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Either piping material problems (galv. pipe) or water distribution system within house and/or piping from meter to house is undersized!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Im not sure of the supply line? However the pressure is fine at times so I dont think it's logical that it would be galvanized pipes, because if it were wouldnt the pressure always be low? Im still leaning toward some valve not being opened completely or something. How can I tell what supply line I am running?

Municipal water supplys always vary depending on the time of the day, it goes by usage, in the middle of the night you have high pressure, when everyone wakes up in the morning the pressure drops. Unless you know for sure you can't rule out galv. pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks