(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water Pressure Drops

DIY Junior Member

Default Water Pressure Drops

Hello, I own a 2 story house both upper and lower units are separate. My problem is when someone from downstairs flushes the toilet or uses the shower or bath the water pressure drops upstairs in both the bathroom and kitchen. Every other time the water pressure is fine, it' just when someone uses something downstairs. I live in the city as well so I called the water company and they came and left so fast it wasnt even funny. They said as long as the first floor is good then they cant help at all which I think is not entirely true.

If anyone has any helpful info please respond and thanks for reading.

Without seeing more details of the plumbing, it is certainly possible that old galvanized pipes are blocking water flow, so that when you run water downstairs, the upstairs is affected.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like it's time for a repipe.
    That's the homeowners responsibility.
    The city provides water to the meter, and after that, it's up to the homeowner to install proper sized pipes and to keep them maintained.
    If the pipes are galvanized, they should have been replaced decades ago.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

What size is your current supply?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

DIY Junior Member

Im not sure of the supply line? However the pressure is fine at times so I dont think it's logical that it would be galvanized pipes, because if it were wouldnt the pressure always be low? Im still leaning toward some valve not being opened completely or something. How can I tell what supply line I am running?

Either piping material problems (galv. pipe) or water distribution system within house and/or piping from meter to house is undersized!

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lanatf12 View Post
    Im not sure of the supply line? However the pressure is fine at times so I dont think it's logical that it would be galvanized pipes, because if it were wouldnt the pressure always be low? Im still leaning toward some valve not being opened completely or something. How can I tell what supply line I am running?
    Municipal water supplys always vary depending on the time of the day, it goes by usage, in the middle of the night you have high pressure, when everyone wakes up in the morning the pressure drops. Unless you know for sure you can't rule out galv. pipe.