Acrylic Tub Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

akmacs

Reaction score
I have never installed a acrylic tub (or any other type for that matter) and had a concern about the underside of the tub I purchased. I understand that the drain shoe has a rubber gasket that goes between the shoe flange and the underside of the tub but the tub but wondered if the underside of my tub will cause a problem. Notice the flattened of area where it was ground flat at the factory. That seems allright but on the left side of the the opening in the photo it drops lower and was not touched when the rest was ground. Is this a problem or the norm for an acrylic tub?

I assume the plumbers putty under the flange of the drain will provide adequate leak proofing when it is screwed down into the shoe, so I'm hoping the professionals here think this tub is ok like this.

Crossing my fingers as this is tub number 2 that I've ordered.

Attachments

• tub3..jpg
    tub3..jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 488

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The putty under the flange has nothing to do with sealing. It is just a cushion. ( Well, it might help, but the rubber MUST make a seal). That fat rubber gasket under the tub is the seal. I would try to sand the tub a little smoother, and possibly use some silicone with that gasket.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The gasket on the bottom does ALL the leakproof sealing. UNLESS the gasket mates to the entire surface, (at some point not necessarily the entire width of the gasket), it will leak. Silicone between the gasket and the tub will probably seal it, but also make it impossible to remove at a later date if necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks