Shower head goes Gulp Drip Gulp Drip

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Recently remodeled my bathroom and I installed a rainfall shower head from the ceiling. I plugged the tub spout connection on the shower valve and then ran the shower connection up into the attic and over and down to 10in rainfall shower head. When we're done showering, for about an hour the head gulps and girgles and drips. Drips into the shower, so that's ok, but its just annoying. Anyway to alleviate this? Special valve to let air in when water pressure is not there?

Thanks,
Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what it was. This is in a stand alone shower. There is no tub spout w/ diverter! So what could I have done?

Thx,
Jason

Plumguy

Reaction score
Did you pitch the water line in the attic towards the shower head?

Lakee911

Reaction score
Uhmmm .... no :confused: I'm guessing that I should have. How much pitch would be necessary?

Do you think there is any risk of freezing? I plan on insulating the pipe pretty well in the attic before winter. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the pipe is right next to the ceiling and well insulated, probably no (unless you keep your house really cold). My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gulp

PItching the pipe would not change the drip/gulp. That is caused by the showerhead being almost exactly level, so water cannot drain until air enters the head, but the air has to "force" its way through the water, so a little air goes in "gulp" and a little water comes out "drip". As the amount of water in the head is reduced the air can enter easier and the gulps will become more frequent and larger until it reaches a point where the last water can run out. If the head had been on an angle then the water could flow out of the low end while drawing air in at the high side.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Yes, you need to pitch the pipe..any pitch will do. If this pipe is in an unheated space with standing water in it...it will freeze. Then the verical part of the pipe that is exposed in the attic is what you will have to protect. Just regular pipe insulation is not sufficient and of course it depends on you're location and winters.This problem would bother me more than the gulping and dripping..which I think the solution to that problem is just above this post.

Lakee911

Reaction score
If I swing the showerhead to the side a lot of water will drain out of the head. Wether or not this drains the pipe in the attic, I do not know. The pipe is about 1/2 in above the ceiling and only in the attic for 15 or so inches. I think I'll build a cardboard box around it and leave a slight air gap between the ceiling and pipe place a lot of insulation around it.

Thanks for thee replies. This board is a great resource.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks