Toilet bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

Peterl

Reaction score
What do you guys do if the bolt is long that the cap is just hanging on the bolt as oppose to the cap being snug? Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We cut the bolt shorter after the nut has been tightened down.

closet-bolts-terrylove-01.jpg

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-3.jpg

closet-bolts-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited:

Peterl

Reaction score
what do you guys use to cut the bolts? Thank You
I don't want to sound really dumb but I am thinking a dremel or bolt cutter. Just curious what you guys in the industry use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hacksaw. A dremmel with a cutoff blade would work, too. You can also buy segmented, break-off bolts that you grab with a pair of pliers after tight and break off the excess at one of the notches. Not worth it to reset the toilet now, but maybe next time. If you cut the bolt before you put the nut on, you may not get the nut on! You can get it off later because the nut acts like a thread chase and straightens out the bent threads you made by cutting it off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you use a bolt cutter, you will need it again when you have to remove the toilet. A Dremel tool also will create a burr which could cause you a problem if the bolt is not secured to the flange. I use a mini-hacksaw which gives a guick smooth cut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks