help trap setting

Users who are viewing this thread

daveydo

Reaction score
I'm setting an ABS trap in a concrete floor for a corner tub.

Anyone have any poiniers on how to keep it in place while the glue sets. Just trying to dry set it is tough. Keeping the thing level and on position while measuring requires a third armwith 3 elbows on it.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Put it all together just the way it should be without solvent. Draw a line that extends from one section to the other with pencil or marker. Put a line around the joint as well, to make sure you extend each piece into the other to the proper depth. Weld one piece at a time with solvent, lining up the marks you made for proper positioning. (Try not to erase the marks with the solvent swab)

daveydo

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

Seems reasonable. I've used that method before and it works well when the trap was straight off the line and in a spot that's easy to see. This trap is rotated about the axis of the street elbow portion of the trap. Therefore, the radial postion of the trap relative to the street elbow axis is critical. A line drawn at that joint is difficult to make accurately and also hard to see.
I have only your hit on this post so it seems to me that no one out there has a better idea. Being the pipe I'm using is ABS it shows markings poorly. Any suggestions as to what to use to mark this stuff. I've found pencil marks to be hard to see. Something that marks white and fine would make a huge difference.

I'll give it a go and report back

Again, thanks for the help

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
I've only worked with PVC. You could stretch white surgical tape across each connection, then cut eith a safety razor. Maybe a real plumber will let us know how they mark ABS. A sliver of soap, wax pencil ?

daveydo

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

Finished the job. I used a light mark made with a razor knife. I aligned it with a corresponding manufacturers alignment mark on the ajoining fitting. Where I couldn't see it I could feel it. Worked well too.

I also had trouble with the waste and overflow on this tub. The problem was that the manucaturers jet plumbing was in the way of the overflow pipe. I had two options:
1. bush down to 1-1/4 from 1-1/2 to go between the OEM"s plumbing and the tub and bush back to 1-1/2
2. forty-five to the outside of the OEM's plumbing.

Method 1 was what I preferred. Although it was doable the 1-1/4 pipe was just touching the OEM's plumbing. I didn't like that. With vibration during use I image wear thru could occur.

Method 2 was how I went. I didn't like it either because the horizontal pipe from the waste was elongated. Now I have to work around it with the H&C supply.

I'm only whining about this because the OEM could have easily plumbed the tub better. It seems to me that the jet in question is slightly out of position.

I have a shower due tomorrow from the same manufacturer. I wonder what I'm in store for.

Oh in case you were going to ask, it took so long to get the tub that I would'nt dare send it back . I might not get a replacement by Christmas, 2005

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks