Cottage Water System Re-fit

Users who are viewing this thread

csstechguy

Reaction score
I would like to rework our cottage water supply system. The old pressure tank bladder has ruptured and I have purchased a new replacement tank. I have a couple of questions about the re-fit.

1. I am going to be relocating the jet pump from the cottage which is approximately 20 feet above the lake to a point which is approximately 6 feet above the lake, this to eliminate the sound of the pump running in the cottage. It is currently being operated in a deep well configuration with two supply lines attached between the pump and the jet(venturi) with a single line from the jet(venturi) to the lake. I will be converting the pump to operate in a shallow well configuration using a single supply line with the jet(venturi) attached directly to the front of the pump.

2. My question is about relocating the pressure tank to the new pump location or leaving it at the cottage level. If I relocate the tank to the lakeside location will I have suffient pressure at the cottage to run the water appliances, toilet, shower, tub, washing machine and faucets?

Or

Would it be better to leave the pressure tank at the cottage level and only relocate the pump and the associated wiring to the lakeside location?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you move the tank to the lake, you will have all the constraints that affect a long supply pipe, such as size, capacity, dynamic pressure loss, and an immediate loss of 10 psi starting pressure because of the difference in elevation. Keep the tank at the building.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Moving the pump and pressure tank 14' lower will give you 6 PSI less in the house. Your pump can probably do an extra 6 PSI no problem. Just turn the pressure switch on the pressure tank up by 6 PSI, and you will have the same pressure in the house as before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks