Replacing Thermal Expansion Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

zaedrus

Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm replacing my 2 gal. thermal expansion tank due to a pin hole leak.
I've charged the new one per the mfr's directions.

When I went to pull the old one off, it wouldn't budge.
I just used a wrench on the hex end of the pipe, and another wrench on the hex of the tank.
I'm afraid of using too much force and busting the pipe it hangs on.

Any tricks I might try?

therm-x-trol-rust-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zaedrus

Reaction score
Heheh... this begs the question - what's the right way, and what are the many wrong ways? Thanks for the input!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may need two wrenches...hold the one wrench on the threaded T while using the other one on the tank. the goal is to prevent excess torque on the pipe and fitting. I've only replaced a couple, but they spun off without tools without problems. Teflon tape verses pipe dope may make that easier when the time comes, or both.

gabby

Reaction score
I bought a new expansion tank but it had no direction in it. It was the last one they had at HD an it had been open. Do these things need a charge per the mfr's directions?
Also mine is full of water so it is going to be a mess when I remove it. At present it is laying over on its side full of water. I guess the bladder inside must have gone bad.

gabby

Reaction score
Is there no pressure on these things when you remove one of them? Sort of scary removing it.
Mine is laying over on its side full of water.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you turn off the water and open a hot tap, that will relieve the pressure.
The pressure in the tank should match the incoming water pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks