Church toilet seat parts not available?

Users who are viewing this thread

motjebben

Member since 2004
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
Doe anyone know where one can get the plastic hinges for the Church toilet seats? I would have thought that if Church is so common and well-respected that it would be very easy to get the hinges.

However, Church does not sell them, and I cannot find them (yet) online.

We have wood seats, which we like, but the hinges crack or break, and it seems a shame to have to buy another whole seat just to replace a broken hinge!

If the answer is that the hinges are NOT available, then what seats would you recommend that DO have replaceable/fixable parts - so that we can avoid this problem in the future?

-Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find that the plastic seats last longer and look cleaner.
Wood seats tend to crack, or screws will pull out.
They also get stained underneath with urine.
Yuck!

I don't know of anyone that sells hinges for seats.

motjebben

Member since 2004
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
Plastic seats look "classy"?

Terry-

For our American Standard toilets (elongated), is there a "classy" looking plastic seat? I hadn't considered such, but, you are absolutely right - the urine stains are not classy on the wood anyway!

Perhaps the broken hinges are an opportunity, not a problem... Maybe I'll switch...

What seat would you recommend, if I want "good looking", sturdy (for people that sit on the toilet to clip nails, etc., are "repairable", and maybe I'll even spend a bit more and get easy closing and/or easily-removed to clean. (I think I'd choose the easy-closing over the easy-cleaning, unless I can get both and the unit is still sturdy...)

Thank you for your response!

-Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any elongated seat should work on the bowl.

There are a few brands out there.
Bemis
Church
TOTO
Most hardware stores carry the first two.
I'm starting to see more choices for slow closing seats, and a few have the quick release feature.
Since my customers are mainly buying TOTO, just a few American Standard, I wind up selling the Toto softclose a lot.
If it's a recent American Standard bowl, I go with Colonial White for the color match.
The Toto bowls I'm selling are mainly Cotton White, so of course I stock plenty of Cotton White seats.
The Toto seats look better on the Toto bowls then Bemis and Church.
Older American Standard white is brighter white then the new bowls.
Those would look better with Cotton White.
The Bemis and the Church have a little yellow in the coloring, which is hardly noticeable to most people.
Since you have American Standard bowls, you are pretty open as to what you can use.
You may need to drop by some hardware stores and see what they have on display.
Seats can be kind of a personal choice.
Strength? I think the plastic seats are tougher.

You do have plenty of choices though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As stated, you have many options when it comes to toilet seats, but the one common factor with all of them is that when the hinge breaks you will probably need a new seat. The hinges are proprietary, AND the companies often change patterns fairly frequently, as they come up with a less expensive or easier to produce version.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks