Can someone double check my wiring diagram?

Users who are viewing this thread

dizzo72

Reaction score

Attachments

• 3way switch with .jpg
    3way switch with .jpg
    52 KB · Views: 33,800

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Does this seem like a reasonable way to get four fixtures in a long journey without running 3wire the whole length?

Reasonable is a relative term.

I never run the travelers thru the lights. Too many extra splices and you have to take fixtures down to troubleshoot.

2 wire power at one end, 2 wire switch leg at either end and 3 wire between them is the way to go. Nothing in the fixture boxes except the switch legs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Eliminate the run you call #1, and run a two wire, (not 3 wire), cable between the two switches connected to the "traveler" terminals. You have the neutral taken care of in the boxes, so all you need is a "hot" to the first switch from the "fixture #1 box", the travelers between the switches, and the "load" wire from switch #2 to the "fixture #4 box". This will simplify your wiring in the boxes.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This will simplify your wiring in the boxes.

Unorthodox wiring methods rarely simplify anything.

Keep the power and switch legs in the switch boxes and run a 3wire between them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks