Sink Drain Connection Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

SeibelWerks

SeibelWerks
Reaction score
Website
www.seibelwerks.com
I have an existing P trap extension that has rusted and broken at the connection to the cast iron drain. In the photo you can see that the cast iron drain pipe bends and goes right to drain. I believe a chrome drain adapter just like the new one illustrated was soldered to the cast iron. I need to replace the existing connection. It has rusted and broken off. What is the best way to deal with this problem?

Attachments

• 20100410_Sink-0004&#4.JPG
    20100410_Sink-0004&#4.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 749
  • 20100410_Sink-0009&#4.JPG
    20100410_Sink-0009&#4.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 721
  • 20100410_Sink-0010&#4.JPG
    20100410_Sink-0010&#4.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 742
  • 20100410_Sink-0001&#4.JPG
    20100410_Sink-0001&#4.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 708

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't solder to cast iron. That piece is either threaded in, or it is packed in somehow. In either case, get and icepick and see if you can pry out the remnant.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can't solder to cast iron. That piece is either threaded in, or it is packed in somehow. In either case, get and icepick and see if you can pry out the remnant.

I don't think that's cast iron it looks like lead to me.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what it is. In the first picture, it appears to be a galvanized elbow with a rusted nipple into it. But the other ones look like lead, however they could not secure a steel pipe into lead.

SeibelWerks

SeibelWerks
Reaction score
Website
www.seibelwerks.com
I have looked at the drain piple closer and I am pretty sure it is lead. It appears that a chrome plated steel fitting was soldered in. There are burn marks around the hole. Now I know that solder won't bind to the chrome fitting but it does fits tight to it. It looks like I am I going to have to melt the solder to get the fitting out?
1. What is the best way to clear the existing fitting out?
2. How do I connect a new fitting to the lead pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a brass tube into the copper, then they ground the chrome off of it and soldered the lead and brass together. It can be done, buy I am not sure if it is a good "first time" DIY task. Every time you make a mistake and overheat the lead it will become shorter. BUT, it is about the only way to connect the lead to the trap pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks