Toilet Drain Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Wally3433

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom. We are going to re-install our existing toilet, but down the road we would like to upgrade to a new one.

Is there a standard offset distance from the center of the toilet drain to the edge of the finished wall - or does this vary widely from toilet to toilet?

Most of the larger toilets I see appear to have the same distance from drain to wall, but wanted to confirm this.

I am trying to determine if I need to adjust the distance now as opposed later.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. The standard rough-in space is 12". Every toilet manufacturer make them that size. You can get a 10" or a 14" toilet, there are less choices in models in those two sizes. The distance is measured from the center of the drain to the finished wall. Note that many 12" toilets can be installed closer to to the wall, but stay with a 12" and you're good to go.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is little shy, come on back with the exact measurement. Terry can tell you to a fraction of an inch the actual space you need, especially for Toto toilets. It seems rough-in sizes never exceed their listed space requirement, but often you can get by with up to 1/2" or so less. It's not an exact science.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks