Current on Phone Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramjet

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner with limited electrical skills, but I have added phone lines in my homes in the past. In the house I own now, I get a very strong shock from one of the four wires in my telephone line. The current is present in the line before it enters the house and is constant (i.e., not present just during ringing).

The line runs underground from a telephone utility box near the street -- is it possible it's crossing a buried electrical wire and picking up current there? Is there any way this could be considered normal?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Phone lines have voltage on them all the time, and when ringing, there's more. If you've ever had the chance to look at a telephone company's office, you'd see huge banks of batteries.

Ramjet

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I understand about the constant voltage. In researching this question before posting, I found a number of people who were shocked by a phone line because they handled it when the phone happened to ring and the voltage was higher, but didn't have any problem handling the line when the phone was in its normal state. My point was that my problem line provides a strong shock at any time (I hate to think what it would be like while ringing).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
DC voltage, unless from high voltage, doesn't usually get noticed. If there is high a/c voltage there, you'd notice, and that isn't normally there unless it is sending the ring signal. High current in either a/c or dc can be dangerous.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Phone line voltage is approx 48 volts. Ring voltage is approximately 96 volts. It sounds like you have more than 48 volts so I'd make a call to the phone company and get it checked out.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks