(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: looking for opinions on jet pump and tank combo replacement

DIY Junior Member lakecottegecommander's Avatar

Post looking for opinions on jet pump and tank combo replacement

Time to replace the jet pump and pressure tank at the lake. Looking for a 1/2 hp shallow well pump and bladder tank with a drawdown around 5 gallons. I have done my homework and I am good to go except for choosing the actual pump and tank. I would like one plumbed and ready to go but it is not necessary. My fear is choosing a lousy pump and having problems as I have heard horror stories in the past. This is a small weekend cottage and is used very light. Pump and tank will be drained and winterized in the off season. Pump will be located in a garage and access is not a problem.

Stay away from the Grundfos MQ. Other than that, nearly all major brand name pumps are the same. If you get an off brand from a big box store or somewhere else, it won't have the quality of the major brand names. Goulds, Flint and Walling, Sta-Rite, AY McDonald, are just a few of the major brand names.

I just picked up a Grundfos MQ at the flea market today... what are the issue with this pump that I should look for?

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

The issue is that it was at a FLEA market. Its got bugs.

Picture of inside a dumpster at a pump supply business. Self explanitory.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

If you want a POS pump, give Shangai Harbor dumpster freight a try - at least they charge closer to their value, 29 - 99$

I had a rental that had a sears POOL pump pressurizing a tank - must have been 25 years old with bailing wire and epoxy on it. Still runs. China ships this junk in on containers and we ship them back on containers as ballast for the ships looking like the photo above.