O-ring supply connections on lavatory faucet -- convert from braided hose to 3/8 tube

Users who are viewing this thread

dujour

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new Danze faucet I want to install on a wall-mount sink. The faucet came with braided supply lines. I would like to replace them with conventional 3/8 chrome hard line since the plumbing is exposed.

This is one of the supply hoses. On one end is the standard 3/8 compression style fitting with an O-ring; on the faucet side is this:

faucet_oring..jpg

Is this a standard fitting?

Shown with 3/8 tube for scale:

faucet_tube..jpg

The threaded portion is 1/8 NPT or nearly so (I can't tell if it is actually tapered or not).

I tried asking Danze how to do this and they sent me a new set of supply hoses and a couple 1/2 IPS to 3/8 IPS reducers. An "A" for effort, but no so good on the reading comprehension.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to use the supplied braided hoses.

There is no way to push a solid riser into a threaded connection and get a seal.

More and more faucets are being sold this way.

dujour

Reaction score
Do the faucets you've seen use the same double O-ring connection?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Every manufacturer uses his own method. Some use one "O" ring, some use "push on" connections, and others use braided hoses with conventional size connections. But, except for the last one, there is NOTHING that will replace the original connector. If appearance is a factor, then you have to buy a faucet which either has good looking connectors or can be converted to something else. Most DIY faucets will have a "fool proof" method of connecting and that usually means proprietary and not changeable. Even if it were 1/4" ips, which it looks close to, without some way of sealing with "O" rings it would leak.

Last edited:

dujour

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Terry and HJ. It is useful to know there is no typical way to do what I want. Now it's a challenge :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Now it's a challenge

Oh! Oh! There should NOT be a challenge since you should use the supplies as furnished. IF you accept the challenge, do not come back later and ask, "What can I do now? I damaged the supply lines and now nothing will work."

dujour

Reaction score
quote; Now it's a challenge

Oh! Oh! There should NOT be a challenge since you should use the supplies as furnished. IF you accept the challenge, do not come back later and ask, "What can I do now? I damaged the supply lines and now nothing will work."

Thanks for your concern. Maybe I'll just return the faucet. The lines aren't long enough to use as-is.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks