Basement Plumbing for Washing machine, Floor Drain and sink

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Final Layout V1

Hi Terry - Thanks for getting back to me :)

So I changed the venting for the sink so it's more direct - more pipe but but I'm not concerned with that - I just want it to look good and pass inspection - hopefully I can get this done over next few days/end of week and post back pics so I can schedule an inspection etc.

The Horizontal vents will have a 1/4 p ft rise away from the drain so any water drains from the main vertical vent to the main sewer line - I think thats right based on what ive read on hear..

Just a couple of questions before I go buy the stuff:

Q1 - Do I need a cleanout for the sink line?
Q2 - Does the cleanout for the washing machine have to stick out of the wall like the pic or can it turn 90 degress to the left and be flat into the wall cavity?

Q3 - The washing machine 2" P-Trap, should this be sealed or have a small plug in the bottom like the sink P-Trap?

Q4 - Any advice regarding the correct procedure for joining in the 2" to the clay 4" - I was thinking about using a Fernco Band and then reducing using ABS and Bush etc...or if they have a straight forward 4" to 2" do it that way?

ALSO - Is Canada NPC - am I still ok to run the ' below grade stuff in 2" '

Thanks and I really appreciate this super forum - it's the shizzle!

Regards

NP

Attachments

• QV_3..jpg
    QV_3..jpg
    25 KB · Views: 3,729
  • QV_2..jpg
    QV_2..jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 16,427
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Q1 - Do I need a cleanout for the sink line?
Now that it's turned the corner, yes.
If it's a kitchen sink, yes
If you are venting the sink on the same level, go back a bit and use a combo for the arm, and a trap arm and 90
What you have drawn at the end doesn't work.

Q2 - Does the cleanout for the washing machine have to stick out of the wall like the pic or can it turn 90 degress to the left and be flat into the wall cavity?
You need access, it would need to be angled so a snake machine can be in front of it.
There is normally a few inches behind a washer anyway.
Looking at the drawing, it would be better if you had the tee for the sink come in below the tee for the washer.
The cleanout could be above both of those tees if it helps. The cleanout would do a better job there too.

Q3 - The washing machine 2" P-Trap, should this be sealed or have a small plug in the bottom like the sink P-Trap?
The trap should be smooth. It's in the wall anyway.

Q4 - Any advice regarding the correct procedure for joining in the 2" to the clay 4" - I was thinking about using a Fernco Band and then reducing using ABS and Bush etc...or if they have a straight forward 4" to 2" do it that way?

You should be able to pick up a 4x2 wye, or if this is going to six and you just need to reduce to 4", they do make a 4x2 RB (Reducing Bushing)

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Version 2

Im not too familiar with the terminology so I popped them in where I thought you meant - I can change these around and re post if incorrect - I added a combo after the NEW C/O WYE angled at 45 Degrees.

Not sure how to attach the YELLOW pipe to the GREEN pipe without dropping down the sinks trap nr the floor (I think there's some code in Canada/maybe in general) about maximum standpipe length to trap??

Is the Sink C/O in the right position?

Thank you regarding your other advice re joining into the main sewer line - I will look into that tonight...

I will check back in later on

Regards

Carl

Attachments

• QV_2B..jpg
    QV_2B..jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,543
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
minimum trap distance from floor

So is it possible to drop the trap down further as long as it fits into the cabinet or does it have to be something like 6inches from the finished surface?

The reason I ask is - if the washing machines tee goes above the sink tee, then I'm having difficulty joining the sinks yellow pipe to the green pipe (maintaining) the 1/4 per foot etc. Could I use 45degrees at each end to connect as a diagonal?

also is says in my 'section 7' OBC code book that there should only be 300mm /12inches of backfill on the underground pipe.

and...does the pipe underground have to be exactly 1/4 or 1/50 per foot - I think the pipes slope is goin to be way greater based on the existing connection to the main sewer line.

thanks in advance for any further help...

Terry you have been fantastic/thanks for sharing your knowledge :) GREATLY APPRECIATED

once ii get this connection problem sorted and the slopes confirmed I good to start (Can't wait)

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
would this work?

the green to yellow connection in the drawing is a WYE and 1/8 the yellow pipe is now greater than 1/4 per ft is that acceptable?

thanks

Carl

Attachments

• QV_2C..jpg
    QV_2C..jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,914

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nearly there hopefully

Hope this is almost perfect:

Q1 - not sure about the 45's used to get around the waste from the sink...its just a vent though isnt it?

YELLOW to GREEN pipe is a 'Tee'

Q2 - also put the CO on the red vent becuase I have 45's on there - not sure if that's needed? -
Q3 - can I put it on the sink s vertical pipe - if i use a wye CO?

Q4 - and also not sure about the CO for the sink, apart from that i think everything else is cool?

any change in direction on the waste side would be 2x45degrees not 90degree, just in case it does'nt look that way in the drawing...

hopefully someone can get back to me and confirm I'm good to go or tell me what needs to be changed!

thanks again

Carl

Attachments

• Sink View..jpg
    Sink View..jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,979
  • QV_2D..jpg
    QV_2D..jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,858
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ontario pipe configs

Figured the fittings out..

Thanks

Attachments

• pipe_configs..jpg
    pipe_configs..jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,863
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
SO I guess even HJ or Redwood would'nt even question this cos im the shzizle

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
HI everyone - been a long time...SO I'm just clearing a few things up on what i did and what has been passed>

Steps taken:

I am going to see if i can find a picture of what was done...it says in the NPC minimum FD is 2" but I had to install 3" with primer from utility sink faucet - I will post the image when i get back home later Wednesday.
City also had me install a mainline backflow on branch to protect basement fixtures - hopefully i wall be able to find the image to show you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks