Water pours out from sprinkler turn on

Users who are viewing this thread

evp

Reaction score
I am a new home owner and I am trying to turn on my sprinkler system for spring. I had the irrigation company turn it on last spring and then winterize. But when I turn on the main water valve in the basement, water pours out of the white open discharge pipe with the threads on to the rocks in the photo, instead of traveling up through the first valve to the PVB bell and then through the second valve to the irrigation duct going to the ground.

I remember the irrigation guy last year said something about the water needing to be directed to the bell and the water pressue to seal the bell.

In the photo, I have the first valve open and the second valve closed (trying to seal the bell), but water still flows down the open discharge pipe. I have tried to have both valves open, but water ends up the same way. I remember last year that there was a screw cap on the discharge pipe but I don't remember how the irrigation guy used it.

SSPX0046..jpg

Attachments

• SSPX0044..jpg
    SSPX0044..jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,331
Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That is not a discharge pipe. It needs to be caped. It looks like it is used to hook up to a air comperssure to winterize the system.

John

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
Yeah, What John said. It looks like you'll need a 1" threaded cap. Not sure on the size of the pipe, but it looks like 1" in the picture. Don't forget to get your backflow assembly tested.

Mick

evp

Reaction score
Yeah, What John said. It looks like you'll need a 1" threaded cap. Not sure on the size of the pipe, but it looks like 1" in the picture. Don't forget to get your backflow assembly tested.

Mick

What's the backflow assembly?

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
It's the brass assembly that the PVC is connected to. It needs to be tested yearly.

John

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
This is one of the types of a Backflow Assembly. You have a pressure vacuum breaker or PVB.

Like John said, most municipalities want it tested when the irrigation system water is turned on, but is still has to be tested once a year, or tested if it has been moved or repaired.

Mick

evp

Reaction score
This is one of the types of a Backflow Assembly. You have a pressure vacuum breaker or PVB.

Like John said, most municipalities want it tested when the irrigation system water is turned on, but is still has to be tested once a year, or tested if it has been moved or repaired.

Mick

how is backflow assembly tested? what's involved?

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
It must be done by a certified back flow tester it's not a DIY job.

John

tomm

Reaction score
That setup looks like a potential disaster.

1. That threaded pvc tee connection is ripe for breaking. Never go male copper to female pvc.

2. Get rid of that above ground pvc pipe. Its gonna break. You want copper pipe instead.

2. PVB needs to be rotated 90 degrees so a tester has access to testcocks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks