Help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A tub faucet will drip for 35 minutes after use.
It take that long for all of the water to completely drain down.

If it doesn't shut off after that amount of time, or it's more like a constant running, then you may need to fix or replace the cartridge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
35 minutes may be a bit much, but if it is just residual water in the piping, then it WILL stop eventually. If it does not then the cartridge is damaged and you need to replace it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
35 minutes may be a bit much

I have timed them several times.

I had one anal customer, that once her 40 yo faucet had been replaced, then expected instant water shutoff on the new fixture.

I started keeping track of time, how long tubs would take to finally quit dripping after shutoff.
Average time, if your anal customer is hanging out in the bathroom watching the tub spout, 35 minutes.

What the heck is wrong with watching "The Price is Right"?
Why do they grab a chair and watch the tub spout?
Forget about it.
The water is off.
It takes that long to become bone dry inside all those pipes in the wall.

That's why, when I shut off water for a plumbing repair, I open up every faucet in the home, starting at the top.
If they have four bathrooms, I go into four bathrooms and start opening faucets.
The quicker all that water can finish sliding out of the pipes, the sooner I can start soldering the new joint.
You can't solder if water continues to drip for hours.
And you other plumbers, don't you love it when the HO tells you over the phone that you can cut, install a fitting and solder in 15 minutes.
It takes way longer then that for the water to quit leaking toward the new joint.
With these guys, I tell them to keep looking.
I'm pretty fast, but you can't beat nature.

Last edited:

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Terry & HJ- As usual, thanks for your prompt and informative replies. After taking exhaustive pains to get the thing in right, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have a damaged valve. My wife is the one that says to me,"The spout is dripping!" I showed her your posts, it did stop after awhile, all is well. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks