dishwasher drain/bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

bpap

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new bathroom sink with 1 1/4" pop up drain. I planned on replacing the pvc p-trap with a chrome p-trap, but have come across a problem.

The dishwasher is located on the other side of the wall from the bathroom sink. The previous owner had the dishwasher drain hose connected to the bathroom sink p-trap via a tailpiece in the drain pipe. I threw away the pvc pipe that was there before taking a close look at how exactly it was done.

My problem is that there does not seem to be 1 1/4" chrome pipe with a tailpiece fitting for a dishwasher hose. This is only sold in the 1 1/2" chrome pipe, which I think is used for kitchen sinks. I was told that you cannot connect a dishwasher drain to a 1 1/4" bathroom sink drain.

My questions are, is it correct that the dishwasher drain should never be connected to a bathroom sink drain? If so, do I have any options to correct this? Unfortunately the kitchen is set up so that the kitchen sink is about 10 feet away from the dishwasher.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any plumbing supply house should have a 1 1/4" wye tailpiece. They are used all the time arount here for A/C condensate drain connections.

That said, I don't like the sound of your dishwasher hookup. There may be problems...no air gap, flex pipe through the wall, etc. These are code issues. If it is working OK for you, we don't argue with success, but these issues may come up later on...like if you were selling the house, or doing other work and an inspector was called in.

bpap

Reaction score
Thanks jimbo.

OK, so for a temporary solution I could just buy something like this:
http://doitbest.com/Pvc+Dishwasher+...eney+Mfg-model-440516-doitbest-sku-440516.dib
and attach that to the sink drain and then the p-trap to the botton of the wye piece, right?

For the long term, is there any solution other than moving the dishwasher next to the sink and having a proper hookup under the kitchen sink with an air gap?

Thanks again.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
well, I have sifted through the code books and for the life of me I cn not see any reason why you can't drain the DW into the lav using that tailstock. You may still need to use an air break up under the lav depending on your local code.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "air break" would be in the countertop near the dishwasher, not UNDER the lavatory. They make threaded and slip joint branch tailpieces. Which one you use will depend on how much drop there is from the drain fitting to the trap.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That would work if you have room. They also make one which has fine threads on it instead of the slip joint nut. If your lav drain is metal with a threaded tailpiece, it replaces that.

imagerequest.aspx

I was referring to the possible lack of an air gap, and what sounds like a flex drain hose passing through a wall. Code would not really accept that! But again, you sometimes are stuck with what you got!

Last edited:

bpap

Reaction score
OK, I have this:
http://www.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=P0001S

It doesn't seem like it would be possible to replace the threaded pipe in the link above with the one you are showing. The one you show doesn't have the overflow holes and more importantly it doesn't seem like the threaded section is long enough to hold the pop-up and the the rubber gasket and nut. Its entirely possible I'm misunderstanding something though.

I had thought I could just attach the compression fitting version to the end of the drain (show in the link above). If necessary I would use a pipe cutter to adjust the length of the drain piece if it was too long. That my be the wrong approach though.

Once again, thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your drain does not have the removable tailpiece that the threaded one would work with, so you need the slip joint version. I am not sure what you mean by "pipe cutter" but unless it is a "tubing cutter" it will damage the pipe before it cuts it. You will probably have to cut both the drain and extension to make things short enough. Why did you use that drain, since they typically have a very poor performance.

bpap

Reaction score
OK, thanks hj. I did mean tubing cutter. I am only using this drain because that is what came with the faucet that I ordered. If there is a drain that would perform better and would be more ideal for my situation I would be happy to get it. Would you have any specific suggestions? Is there something specific about this drain that performs poorly. I should probably mention that the faucet is a bridge faucet, so the center hole in the sink cannot be used for a lift rod for a pop-up drain. The center just has a nickel hole cover over it now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks