Adjusting AS Vent-Away toilet venting system

Users who are viewing this thread

andy_levine

Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the entire innards of an AS Compact Vent-Away toilet with all new parts (dont ask, not cheap, but a happy wife). I'm having problems figuring out how to adjust the flush lever to activate, but more importantly DEACTIVATE the VentAway system.

The arm that surrounds the flush lever can easily turn on the system when the lever is pulled up (opposite of flushing) . According to what I've read online, the act of flushing should turn the system off. However I see no way to adjust the arm/flush lever combo so that it could ever go high enough to close the VentAway valve. Even after flushing the sytem remains on. Is the system supposed to automatically turn itself off, via pressure maybe? Perhaps I dont have enough water pressure (we are on a well system)?

If anyone knows how to properly adjust the arm/lever combination, your help would be greatly appreeciated. Pictures would be great too :)

Thanks
Andy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent-a-way

The Vent-a-Way will operate forever, or until the handle is pushed down, (or in depending on which toilet it is), for a normal flush. Pulling the handle up should activate the VaW, but there is no way you could lift it high enough to turn it off, because it is the downward action that deactivates it and starts the normal flush action.

andy_levine

Reaction score
hj said:
>>"but there is no way you could lift it high enough to turn it off, because it is the downward action that deactivates it and starts the normal flush action"

But that is the problem I am having. There is no way to push the handle DOWN far enough during the flush action to deactivate the system. The flush handle runs through the arm and opens the valve when the handle is pulled upward. This moves the activation arm downward just enough that the flush lever cannot even reach it to push it back to the closed position.

I have tried mounting the arm in many different position (from the bottom, pointing outwards, etc) but I cant see any way other than the obvious that the arm and the flush lever could ever meet.

Maybe i'll try posting a couple of pictures later today.

Thanks
Andy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
VaW

A picture of your installation would help. Most Vent-a-Way units had a threaded arm with two nuts on it to establish the range of movement of the actuator.

andy_levine

Reaction score
VaW actuator Nuts??? Hmm....

No nuts on this unit. Actually, both the existing parts and the replacements have the same setup. An actuator arm with a 90 degree bend that enters the stem that opens the valve to the VaW unit. The other end of the arm is an open "box" that the flush lever goes through.

I uploaded three images to this reply, though I am unsure how to link/display them. I tried tags, but they fail to appear in the preview.

The first image, neutral.jpg, shows the flush handle in the normal position. Notice the flush lever resting on the actuator arm.

The next image, VaW-ON, shows the result of pulling the flush handle to the upwards position. the flush lever arm goes downwards, pulling tha actuator arm along with it, twisting the stem which opens the valve, turning on the VaW.

The final image, Flush.jpg, shows the toilet in the flushing position, handle going down. notice the flush lever arm being elevated, but failing to reach the actuator arm at all.

I'm sure I could jerry rig something, like wiring the actuator and flush lever together, but I dont think this is how it was meant to work.

Thanks for all your help
Andy

Attachments

• neutral.JPG
    neutral.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 680
  • VaW-ON.JPG
    VaW-ON.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 665
  • Flush.JPG
    Flush.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks