Help me out here guys

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Do any of you guys see a problem (s) with the DWV in these pictures? They are on the filters threads and I pointed out that there were some code violations there and I'm getting beat up over it.
Water%20Project%2&#4.jpgWater%20Project%2&#4.jpg

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, I was just trying to point out to the OP that the drainage was pretty messed up down there. take a look at that tub drain line. It must run a good 10 feet with an s trap and no vent. then there's that Fernco connecting the cast to the PVC which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Is this some sort of April fools joke?

I bet the installer said to himself/herself: boy, what an awesome job I just did, I did this complicated plumbing drainage installation that has pipes going everywhere, boy what a pro I am! Who needs a plumber after all!

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not a jole, the installer is a nice guy. All he did was cut in the 3 x 2 san tee and install the 2" trap. I'm sure he did it like that because everything else down there was done similarly. The OP just bought the place and if you read through the thread he wants to make things right down there. It's not the OP that was questioning my advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A house trap is not "illegal", nor does it double trap any fixture if there is a functioning vent, not an AAV, anywhere in the system. The Fernco coupling is not permitted above the floor, but both pipes seem to be 4", the transition between the materials was just done improperly. The lables on the rest of it are correct as to the errorsl

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IPC will not allow the house trap. I know that it is existing but it really should not be there. The improper transition is the cause of the reduction in pipe size.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Do any of you guys see a problem (s) with the DWV in these pictures? They are on the filters threads and I pointed out that there were some code violations there and I'm getting beat up over it.
View attachment 10324View attachment 10325
Yeah I see problems too and believe things are against code. But I don't see enough wrong to cause a full redo now when the guy is installing a new AN filter and water softener.

Since I'm the one debating with you in that thread where you consider you're being beat on, I suppose you will consider this as me beating on you too but it is not intended that way; I consider it a discussion of things that have been said and/or implied to a DIYer doing his own plumbing. Which IMO is why these forums exist.

That thread is 10 pages and 120 posts long, started 2/27/2010 which is 5 weeks ago, and your first post is #107 on page 8 posted on 4/1/2010. IMO mostly all you have done is to be critical and disagreeable with things that I have said; and that started in your first post. Personally I see confrontation and a somewhat anti DIYer attitude in your posts rather than anything helpful to the OP, but that's just me; I do have a lot of experience with confrontational posts by many people that are critical of many things that I say. And the confrontation is not done to help the DIY members that ask for help here.

And here you've started a thread in the pluming forum about that thread in a different forum by posting the pictures and complaining about someone beating on you. Why do that unless it's designed to be confrontational and stir things up?

In that thread you see that there has been no mention of problems with the operation of the drainage system of the house and that the flow from the water treatment equipment is going to be a 3/4" flow for two periods of 15 minutes at say 5 gpm every 3-4 days in the middle of the night for the AN filter and then maybe once per week for the softener at a max 2.0 gpm for part of the regeneration time of roughly 50-75 minutes with 40-60 minutes of that time at roughly only .25 gpm.

I don't see a problem with that flow rate and frequency serious enough to talk about redoing just about all the drain lines in the basement including the very ugly cast stack Fernco fitting replacement.

For anyone that's interested, here is the link to the other forum's thread starting on the page with your first post in it;
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?35168-Water-Softener-with-RO-and-Ph-%28acid%29-Neutralizer-Install-Help/page8

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yeah I see problems too and believe things are against code. But I don't see enough wrong to cause a full redo now when the guy is installing a new AN filter and water softener.

I did not ever say he had to re-do it. If I did please show me where I did so. ( third time at least I have had to say that)

Since I'm the one debating with you in that thread where you consider you're being beat on, I suppose you will consider this as me beating on you too but it is not intended that way; I consider it a discussion of things that have been said and/or implied to a DIYer doing his own plumbing. Which IMO is why these forums exist.

The OP has thanked me twice for pointing out the plumbing problems.

That thread is 10 pages and 120 posts long, started 2/27/2010 which is 5 weeks ago, and your first post is #107 on page 8 posted on 4/1/2010. IMO mostly all you have done is to be critical and disagreeable with things that I have said; and that started in your first post. Personally I see confrontation and a somewhat anti DIYer attitude in your posts rather than anything helpful to the OP, but that's just me; I do have a lot of experience with confrontational posts by many people that are critical of many things that I say. And the confrontation is not done to help the DIY members that ask for help here.

I am tired of defending this and this entire conversation and furthermore though I may have in the past I now don't give a crap what you think or feel.

And here you've started a thread in the pluming forum about that thread in a different forum by posting the pictures and complaining about someone beating on you. Why do that unless it's designed to be confrontational and stir things up?

Probably because you refuse to read and understand what is said and the replies to your arguments. call it validation.

In that thread you see that there has been no mention of problems with the operation of the drainage system of the house and that the flow from the water treatment equipment is going to be a 3/4" flow for two periods of 15 minutes at say 5 gpm every 3-4 days in the middle of the night for the AN filter and then maybe once per week for the softener at a max 2.0 gpm for part of the regeneration time of roughly 50-75 minutes with 40-60 minutes of that time at roughly only .25 gpm.

If it dripped two drops in two months it would still be wrong. I don't justify plumbing, I do it right.

I don't see a problem with that flow rate and frequency serious enough to talk about redoing just about all the drain lines in the basement including the very ugly cast stack Fernco fitting replacement.

Again for the god knows how many times I NEVER TOLD HIM TO TEAR IT ALL OUT AND RE-DO IT-EVER!!!

For anyone that's interested, here is the link to the other forum's thread starting on the page with your first post in it;
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?35168-Water-Softener-with-RO-and-Ph-%28acid%29-Neutralizer-Install-Help/page8

Thanks for posting the link and I hope everyone reads through it for the record.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score

I don't see what the paragraph above has to do with the discussion at hand--which I understand to be compliance with the plumbing code. Is the poster suggesting that those factors are relevant to the discussion at hand?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks