(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iron problems

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    Even if the Iron has always been at the .28ppm for all this time, there should not have been the challenge as large as it is...

I would find another test ... box store might have a little kit that has iron and hardness and ph in it..

I know any number of people that use a filter to remove or reduce the iron that they have, but they are using a filter that is 4"X10" or 2 like that with a coupler, or even a 4"x20" often the filter housing is called a Big Blue..

For me there is just some thing not right with that number of .28ppm and the challenges that you are talking about or seeing... they are not fitting...
    Thanks for advice, I have seen some big blue cartridge type filters at Lowes. Would this be what you are referring to? What kind of filter are the folks you know using? What i have would be referred to as a standard size cartridge filter.

This is what I am taking about ..

It is big,, when used there should be a bracket to hold it both to the wall and from falling or taking down the plumbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    This is what I am taking about ..

It is big,, when used there should be a bracket to hold it both to the wall and from falling or taking down the plumbing.
    Thanks, going to go to lowes when i get back home and get one of the water test kits they have.
    If I remember correctly, I took my water test sample from my kitchen sink which is after the whole house cartridge filter that I have.
    In the big blue like what you poste, do you know which filter the folks you know use.

I have customers that have 50 mircon, and then there are some that have 5 mircon....

I would say start at any given mircon and see how that does, if it filters or no filtering, if it loads fast or slow...

I normally start at 5mircon and go from there..

DIY Junior Member

http://www.water-softeners-filters.c...cartridge.html

just did a search and saw this, have any idea how long it would take before you would have to change it?
    I know its not as good as a self cleaning type, but the city has extended the water to about a 1/2 mile from my house and the talk is that they are going to extend it to where I live in the next year, so thinking this might be better than spending a couple of thousand dollars since I will then be able to get on the city water and not have to have the filter system then.
    Thanks

The filters that you are using right now are what micron and last how long?

Going from the 2x10 to the 4x10 will give more time between changings...

Often the 4x10 are going for 10-15 per.... maybe a little more or a little less.... if you use 2 every 5 months that is what maybe 30.00? or 75 every 5 months?

Even Pentek will not say how many gallons will pass before it is loaded,, just that it can handle up to 3ppm or iron but for how long???? who knows,,, they don't have it listed..