Noritz NR98-OD just installed

Users who are viewing this thread

HDClown

Reaction score
My 16+ year old tank finally started to leak last week. Had a Noritz NR98-OD installed Fri/Sat. So far everything is working great.

In reading through the manual, it indicates to "contact Noritz" to be able to allow the temp. set point to be set above 140F. I've also seen mention of other things teh controll can show you, like inlet temperature. I also came across a setting while I was adjusting the max set point (5 on or 5 off) but no idea what it does.

Could anyone provide me the "installers" usage guide for the remote, so I can access all of the features?

pic of the installation:

Noritz_NR98-OD_2.JPG

Noritz_NR98-OD_3.JPG

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Very good looking install. But are you aware that pex pipe cannot be exposed to UV sunlight?

John

HDClown

Reaction score
I asked the installer about that, and he said this is "UV Rated PEX". The piping is ViegaPEX Ultra, and Viega indicates it's UV protected for up to 6 months, so obviously not long term. I'm going to call the service manager and see what he says. They may assume homeowners paint the pipes and that provides the UV protection.

My house was re-piped with PEX 6 years ago, and there is about 18" on the other side of my house which is exposed from where the water main comes in. Those installers wrap it in closed cell foam self-sealing pipe insulation, and it's been fine ever since. They didn't coat the foam in a protective coating, nor has it been painted, but it's held up pretty well for those past 6 years. So if the tankless installers tell me I'm on my own, I will probably do something like that myself, but get an appropriate UV protective coating for it, or find a product natively rated for UV exposure. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Scott D. Plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.profitableplumbing.com
Yes, Paint the PEX or better, cover it with something like a metal flashing or similar material. If not...you'll be sorry.

You should not need over the 120* set point. Most MFG'ers have a secret squirrel dip switch setting inside, or a plug to be removed from a wire inside that will alow higher temps. I won't go into more here because over 120* is not considered safe in a house even though it happens all the time. 140*F is "HURT YOU HOT!" You are in FL where your incomming cold water temps are very high already. I seriously doubt you need hotter water. Noritz Tech support can give you any further information you need.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks