2nd floor shower drain water level?

Users who are viewing this thread

spinman

Reaction score
Hello,
this is my first post and its probably a very basic question. I hope.
I am building a new shower on the 2nd floor. I'm at the point where I screwed down the top part of the drain on the liner. Looking down the 2 inch pipe, I saw that the water level is 6-7 inches below the liner. My question is whether it is normal for the water level to be that high. I have not tested letting water run to see if it drains or if it just backs up. Before I test that, I wanted to ask, hoping for a positive answer. This is my first try at building a shower.

Thanks for any info,

Robert/spinman:confused:

Last edited:

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
How far below the floor is the p-trap? If you ran the drain line with proper pitch you have nothing to worry about.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The purpose of the trap is to block sewer gasses from coming into the room. To work, it needs to be full of water. The level depends on where the trap is. Sounds about right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The normal water level will be wherever the "P" trap is set. There is no way for us to tell you if the water level is too high or low because we do not know that dimension.

spinman

Reaction score
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Your replies put my mind at ease. This space upstairs has been waiting for me to install bathroom/shower for the past 20 years. I know this because my wife reminds me. The floorboards/plywood were already there when I bot the house and I don't know enough about traps under the flooring. By your information I now understand that there "must be a trap" that holds some water level to prevent fumes from burping back up. So, if I got this right, as the water flows down the drain, the water gets pushed down (gravity) and, about, the same level of water remains above the trap. I really want to thank you for helping me understand this. This site is very useful and helpful.

Robert/spinman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks