Is "dry" mold a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Macman

Reaction score
Our basement had water problems for many years. I suspect that with it going on so long, mold has to be an issue. The water problem has been solved, and the basement has been dry for about 6 months. Now I wonder if I have to worry about the mold. Will it continue to thrive in a dry basement? Will it produce spores/toxins that could be dangerous?

If the answer to the first part of this question is "yes" then the second question would be how to best approach the problem without spending big bucks. What treatments work best? How do I know how to choose a pro who will get the job done right? If I get a pro involved, I can't spend tens of thousands of dollars. It's just not in the budget.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme mold spores can remain dormant for probably 1000's of years, and probably beyond your lifetime under some rather nasty conditions. Mold needs three things: food, moisture, and their existance to create problems. Take away any one, and it goes dormant. The least intrusive thing that kills them is probably a water/bleach solution. I'd try to rid myself of as many as possible. You'll never get rid of all of it, and new ones will be airborne to repopulate the area, but without all three legs of the triangle, it won't grow. Disoldging the spores can be a health problem; it's just when it's growing, it is producing lots, no new ones while it is dormant.

TWEAK

Reaction score
+1 on the bleach.

It is probably ok as long as it stays dry. If it gets wet, mold can start to grow in 24 to 48 hours. Sometimes moist air is all that is needed.

Check out these companies that make paint-like coatings to contain the mold: Foster, Safe Encasement Systems, and Fiberlock.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
From what I read, bleach is not a good product for mold. Get some Moldex or similar product.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks