Relighting Propane water heater problems

Users who are viewing this thread

txtroutbum

Reaction score
While removing an old built in gas grill yesterday, I shut off what I thought was the gas line to the grill (Propane), but I inadvertently shut off the gas to the whole house. I went up to the attic to relight the pilot on the water heater, and it lit right back up (Rheem unit with sealed pilot/ingitor). Unfortunately, I did not ensure that the burner lit, as it appeared that the pilot was good to go.

This morning, no hot water and no pilot. After trying to light the pilot for about 20 minutes, I abandoned the effort to try later.

The water heater is in our attic of our 2 story house, propane tank out in the yard (at about a 30% fill)...perhaps I don't have enough pressure to get the gas up to the HW Heater?

any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely you have air in the lines. If you can manually open the valve until you smell gas that sometimes fixes the problem. If you have other gas appliances try starting those as well.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks