looking for opinions on jet pump and tank combo replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Time to replace the jet pump and pressure tank at the lake. Looking for a 1/2 hp shallow well pump and bladder tank with a drawdown around 5 gallons. I have done my homework and I am good to go except for choosing the actual pump and tank. I would like one plumbed and ready to go but it is not necessary. My fear is choosing a lousy pump and having problems as I have heard horror stories in the past. This is a small weekend cottage and is used very light. Pump and tank will be drained and winterized in the off season. Pump will be located in a garage and access is not a problem.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Stay away from the Grundfos MQ. Other than that, nearly all major brand name pumps are the same. If you get an off brand from a big box store or somewhere else, it won't have the quality of the major brand names. Goulds, Flint and Walling, Sta-Rite, AY McDonald, are just a few of the major brand names.

tlpond

Reaction score
I just picked up a Grundfos MQ at the flea market today... what are the issue with this pump that I should look for?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Picture of inside a dumpster at a pump supply business. Self explanitory.

Attachments

• IMG_0003..JPG
    IMG_0003..JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,254

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If you want a POS pump, give Shangai Harbor dumpster freight a try - at least they charge closer to their value, 29 - 99$

I had a rental that had a sears POOL pump pressurizing a tank - must have been 25 years old with bailing wire and epoxy on it. Still runs. China ships this junk in on containers and we ship them back on containers as ballast for the ships looking like the photo above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks