Leaks in hot water circulating system

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Curtis

Reaction score
Leaks in hot water circulating system
This system is about ten years old and six leaks have occurred in the last two years. All leaks have been in the 1/2" copper return line at or near joints. The return to the gas water heater is at a check valve at the cold water inlet. One plummer suggested that it might be electrolysis. One leak occurred at the water heater and the others several feet away. No leaks have occurred in any of thr other copper pipes. Any suggestions?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leaks

you don't say if the leaks are at the solder joints or just somewhere on the pipe.
Till I know, I guess that the solder joints are leaking.
If thats the case then someone didn't solder well.
Electrolysis usually destroys the iron pipe that its connected to if there is no insulated union or coupling.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
return line leaks

you got troubles...

many of these recirulation lines run constantly
and its only a matter of tie before the pipe wears thin...

if it is not already on a timer to come on only for a short
time in the morning and evening
you probably should get one...

it will save on more stress to the pipes and
probably make youir heater last longer too.

its the only way to delay having to change out that pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

Your problem is the water's velocity which in turn causes turbulence at the fittings. If you have a valve between the pump and the water heater connection shut it down until the flow is just adequate to keep the return line warm/hot, (depending on the heater's temperature setting). If you do not have such a valve, install one. Do not shut down the valve ahead of the pump or you will wear out the pump also.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
circulator

Could you return it to the bottom of the tank and let it recirculate by gravity?

Finnegan

Reaction score
Aside from this problem, are you happy with the recirculating system? I am not sure if they are worth it. You don't waste the water waiting for it to get hot, but you waste energy in running the pump and reheating the water. Any opinions on these systems?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
love mine

installed a home comfort with manifold at furthest vanity.

i have the timer set for only2 hrs am 2 pm

it,s advertised to save 16,000 gal. a year for a family of 4. the elec use is peanuts.,water savings is huge ! instant hot water in the shower at 5 am is GREAT, especially on a cold winter morn.

check out grohe website. i,m on a slab so no re-pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks