Shower handle stem broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Marksavage

Reaction score
My shower's handle broke today and I couldn't get the water to stop. So I shut off the water main and tried to remove everything that was with the handle, for replacement. I ran into a little problem. The stem that comes off the handle is broken and the other half is stuck inside the wall. (pictures explain this better).

This is what my faucet supposed to look like. It is a Moen.

In the white hole is where the stem end is stuck.

Broken stem on handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had to guess (and I'm not a pro), I'd guess it was a Moen. they can be a bear to pull out. I couldn't tell for sure, but did you have and remove a U-shaped clip first? It's what technically holds the cartridge in. The brass ones are particularly hard to get out after they get gunked up with mineral deposits - you literally have to shear the ring of minerals off the shell since there's so little clearance to get it out. Some people, if they have the time, spritz some strong vinegar on it, which after time will disolve the mineral deposits. Maybe some CLR. Search on stuck Moen cartridges...there's lots of threads that discuss methods to get it out.

If you need to turn the main back on, you might want to call a plumber. There are tools that are supposed to help to pull it out. Some are a joke. And, if you use the tool and it breaks off inside, it is even worse to remove things.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a moen positemp. You have a mess on your hands. If you can get a moen removal tool at a hardware store, use it to aid in turning the white bar that you see. Once it turns, it is loosened up, and use whatever tool you can to get a hold and pull it out.,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you have removed the retainer clip, then grab the white plastic piece with pliers and twist while pulling on it. You will probably need a new handle and adapter, because they can be difficult to remove while attached to the valve, but without something to work against it will probably be impossible.

Last edited:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The first picture shows that the cartridge retainer clip is still installed, and it is surrounded by too much mortar to remove. You will have to break off some of the surrounding mortar to get proper access to it, and then you can see if you can pull the cartridge out with some pliers. There is also a lot of corrosion happening on the valve body, which is not good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks