(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dishwasher Not Used for Months: Lubricate with Cooking Oil?

Default Dishwasher Not Used for Months: Lubricate with Cooking Oil?

We have a Bosch dishwasher in a second house. Between visits the dishwasher may sit unused for 3-4 months at a time. We were advised to put a cup of cooking oil into the bottom of the dishwasher, turn the machine on momentarily to get the oil sucked into the system and then turn off the dishwasher having "lubricated" the machine for sitting idle. Has anyone else used this approach?

Unless Bosch recommended it, it doesn't make sense to me. Dishwasher pumps are by design...water lubricated. I really don't think anything will dry out. But the problem you might have is odor from stale water which does remain in the sump. I would suggest pouring a gallon of white vinegar into the bottom of the DW before leaving, running a cycle, then pour a cup of vinegar in before leaving the house. repeat when you return.

It seems to me a cup of cooking oil is must going to gunk up the whole inside of the machine.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Definitely not in the Bosch book of mine.... oil or vinegar. Leave the door open so it drys out. Ever smell 2 month old cooking oil that has turned to stiff paste?

But then... Maybe some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and do a rinse and hold with a head of lettuce on the top rack would give you a nice dressed salad.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 04-11-2010 at 04:13 PM.