Bathroom counter height?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbbarker1947

Reaction score
My existing bath room counter is 30" high. The guest bath room is being remodeled. My contractor has built the shell and it is 36" high without the top. My wife says that is the style and since we are older, it is easier on our backs. What can I do or say to save my marriage over this question?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is not much you can do to save your marriage except to buy her flowers and dinner and apoligize.

Oh yeah, what was the question?

That answer is for anything that happens in daily life. Write it down, it could come in handy.

Countertops.
Standard counter tops in the cavemen days were 30"
Then the standard went to 32"
Not good enough for many though.
Now many countertops are at least 36"

Sounds like yours will be about 37.5"
That still works.
Kitchen counters have been 36" for years.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The ideal counter height is 3" below your elbow with your forearm horizontal. My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
counter

It sounds like your countertop people do not have the "standards". Lavatory countertops, pedestal lavs, and wall hung lavs have been at 31" traditionally, and kitchen counters were 36". Your present ones appear to be "too" low, and the new ones may be a bit "high". How tall are you and your wife? If that height is functional for you, then there is no problem. If you are going to get a divorce, the countertop height should not be one of the reasons.

florida_wen

Reaction score
Our last house....

in Leesburg, Florida was one of 1,500 homes located in one of Pringle's gated "active adult" (retirement) communities. These homes there were built from 1996 through 2005 and it's all built out now. We were second owners and the house was built in late 1999. The builder (Pringle Homes) offered the original owners many options and design variations. The original owner's of our home, along with over 80% of the other home purchasers, chose the 36" bathroom counter height option and after a few months "hated" these very, very tall and "unconfortable" bathroom vanities. To top it all off, a very "high" single lever faucet was installed. When we chatted with neighbors it seemed that less than 5% of those that had these high vanities actually liked them. I am 6 ft. 1 in. and my Wife is 5 ft. 3 in. She hated them from day one, but since we knew we would only be there about a year, we lived with them.... but not a day went by that she did not make a negative comment about them. Most of the residents are elderly (over 55) and not many are as tall as 6 foot, yet the salespeople "encouraged" these 36" tall vanities. Even for me, at my height (6' 1") I almost whacked my teeth in the darn faucet many times. I personally think that for a KITCHEN 36" is perfect, but for a bathroom 31" or 32" is best for the "average" height person (5' 6" to 6').

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks