Copper/Galvanized Corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyson

Reaction score
I'm working on a bathroom remodel and have used copper plated stub-out brackets for the sink supply lines. I had to notch a stud to accommodate the new 1 1/2 inch drain line. I have used a Strong Tie strap to reinforce the stud (non load bearing) and to act as a nail plate. The strap is galvanized. Is this going to cause corrosion problems in the system?

Thanks for your help.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't think I would worry too much about the bracket. You could always place a couple wraps of electrical tape between the two surfaces.

Tyson

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I guess what I meant to ask was will the reaction between the dissimilar metals of the bracket and the strap cause corrosion to the copper pipes connected to the bracket or the fixtures attached to the pipes?

The strap is already in place and nailed off in every hole and the drywall is back up. I would prefer not to tear it apart, but will if it poses a threat.

Thanks again.

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
You may want to change it. The galvanic series for galvanized steel and copper indicate a difference of 0.85V. The maximum recommended is 0.5V in a controlled humidity environment. If the pipe sweats at all the corrosion will accelerate even more.

vittorio6

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I guess what I meant to ask was will the reaction between the dissimilar metals of the bracket and the strap cause corrosion to the copper pipes connected to the bracket or the fixtures attached to the pipes?

The strap is already in place and nailed off in every hole and the drywall is back up. I would prefer not to tear it apart, but will if it poses a threat.

Thanks again.

when you have contact between two different materials like galvanized steel and copper it's likely that you'll have some galvanic corrosion. galvanic corrosion is a function of severeal factors and the difference in potential is just one; you'll have also to take into account the type of fluid, or atmospheric exposure and the ratio of the two areas in contact. if you have a large anode area, galvanized steel, and a small cathode area, copper, then the galvanic corrosion will be limited. what you can do is to isolate the two material of paint at least the galvanized steel.

galvanic corrosion documents

Vittorio

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks