Well pump was stuck on

Users who are viewing this thread

Notags

Reaction score
I could hear it in the pipes, and I knew what was happening. Due to a recent failure of my sump pump, my crawlspace collected about 2 feet of water (Not the first time that's happened). The pressure switch was stuck on causing the well pump to run constantly. A trip to HD netted me a new 40-60 pressure switch (the only type available at that particular store) and pipe to mount it on. On my mechanics creeper in the darkness of the crawlspace, I replaced the switch. In the light I saw that the one I replaced was marked as a 30-50. CRAP.

I returned the 40-60 switch to HD and purchased a Square-D 30-50 switch (there is a lever on the sideof this new switch-the old switch did not have this) from the local ACE Hardware store. I installed that switch, restored power---NOTHING. Checked the wiring-correct! Checked the pressure in the tank. It was set to 38psi. Just perfect for a 40-60 switch!! I reduced the pressure in the tank to 28psi and it works.

My issue is pressure. It is weaker than before and SWMBO is not happy. I notice (especially on the 2nd floor) that the water pressure slows, then perks up. I suspect this is due to a lower cut on pressure (30psi).

Can I adjust this new switch to give me better pressure? If so what are the steps. There is a gauge next to the pressure switch which is old and almost readable. Should I replace this gauge to be able to get a more accurate adjustment?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Better read the box and instructions carefully. Looks like you have a low pressure cut out switch, a good idea. But to get the pump to start up you need to hold the lever partway up until pressure gets to around 20 to 30 psi. Then it will hold on its own.

You must get a new pressure gauge, yes...

By turning the main adjustment nut in, you should get 40 to 60 or more out of it. Then reset tank pressure and hold the lever to start it up. If this IS a low pressure cut out rather than just a off on lever, you might be making more crawls under the house than you want.

Notags

Reaction score
Thanks Ballvalve!

I bought another 40-60 switch and a new gauge and installed both. Readjusted the tank pressure to 38psi. SWMBO is very happy again! When she's happy, I'm happy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks