Utility sink and washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

n2learning

Reaction score
Can a utility sink and washer share the same 2" drain?
Both fixtures are vented.

The utility sink and washer are on adjacent walls, the washer hose does not drain into the utility sink. The washer hose will drain into a 2" standpipe. I was hoping I could tie into the utility drain after the washer p trap.

(I can post pics if need be)
Thanks,
DK

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you do what you propose you will end up with a line thats not vented, if both lines are vented a 2in. line is fine.

n2learning

Reaction score
This is in a basement. Utility sink wtih vent.
IMG00094-20100323-1620.jpg

Picture showing the stand up pipe and the vent. Obviously nothing is glued yet....and the vent will be extended of course.
IMG00095-20100323-1621.jpg

The drain will then connect to the main drain. Am I good to go with the washer once all fittings are cemented?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Not quite.

Think about how gravity works here- the trap has to be ABOVE the horizontal drain from the sink.
Also, a sani-tee is not approved for use on a horizontal line. Some areas will accept it for the vent, but not the drain. Use a wye and 1/8th bend combination instead.

I would prefer to have the washer standpipe and trap flat against the wall. Check out Terry's picture for an example-

washer_rough_b.jpg

Last edited:

n2learning

Reaction score
How about this? I don't have the vent line in but you can see where it would go. This is just a prototype, I'll probably tighten it up.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sani-tee transitions horizontal to vertical
Wye and 1/8 bend transitions vertical to horizontal
Lose the extra length between the wye and 1/8 bend too.

Attachments

• plumb..jpg
    plumb..jpg
    24 KB · Views: 5,042

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are doing it the hard way. Install a combination Y-1/8 bend next to where the trap will be. Glue a street 2x1 1/2 x 1 1/2 sanitary tee into that, and the trap into the side of the tee. The vents only have to be 1 1/2".

n2learning

Reaction score
Thanks for the illustration, it helps. I had to do an image search for 'wye and 1/8 bend'; that's a fitting I haven't bought.
Is it okay if the vent is 2" or should it really be 1 1/2"?

n2learning

Reaction score
How about this?
(The 2X4 will be gone once I strap the pipes in place.)

Also, is there a minimum or maximum height requirement for the stand-pipe?

IMG00100-20100329-1637.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks