(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 1-1/4" PEX, is a DIY install possible?

Hybrid View

Default 1-1/4" PEX, is a DIY install possible?

Our new home has a softener loop in the garage with 1-1/4" PEX. I was planning on installing a softener myself with Sharkbite (or similar) fittings, but as far as I can tell, they only go up to 1".

I can't seem to find any other options other than the tool-based systems and that is tough to justify for only two fittings. Are there any other options or am I better off just paying a plumber for this job?

Thanks,
    Dave

Have the plumber install to female or male nipples off the 1 1/4 pex tee.. if the nipples be either male or female then you can reduce down to the size that you will need to get to the softener bypass.

There are 2 different ways of using the pex, crimp or exspand... I have the exspand set up....

Thanks, I will call around to get rates from a local plumber. Any recommendations on what size the MPT fittings should be? Seems like 1" is more standard but I want to check since I'm coming off of 1-1/4".

If he does 1 1/4 FPT and your system is 3/4" then use a bushing from 1 1/4 to 3/4 then a nipple and then flex to the softener bypass...
    or
    If he does 1 1/4 FPT and your system is 1" then use a bushing from 1 1/4 to 1 then a nipple and then flex to the softener bypass...

Either way you win....

Are you sure what you have is 1-1/4" pex? That's kind of an odd thing to run in a residential setting.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbee24 View Post
    Are you sure what you have is 1-1/4" pex? That's kind of an odd thing to run in a residential setting.
    We have 4 full bathrooms so maybe the builder sized up to accomodate multiple showers running at once?

Edit - During my research tonight I came across a site offering a 1.25" "high flow" Clack unit. If I'm not supposed to reduce my water line should I be looking at something like this vs a regular WS1?
    Last edited by hoffmand; 03-23-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffmand View Post
    Our new home has a softener loop in the garage with 1-1/4" PEX. I was planning on installing a softener myself with Sharkbite (or similar) fittings, but as far as I can tell, they only go up to 1".

I can't seem to find any other options other than the tool-based systems and that is tough to justify for only two fittings. Are there any other options or am I better off just paying a plumber for this job?

Thanks,
    Dave
    I question 1.25" PEX too, never heard of it before. You sure you aren't measuring the OD? PEX, CPVC and copper are all CTS (copper tubing size) which maintains the OD and the ID varies by the pressure rating. So the ID is less than the common name for the tubing, like 3/4" (7/8" OD) or 1" (1 1/8" OD) etc.. The hole is smaller than the 3/4" or 1" name.

And Peter should be here any minute saying AKpsdvan shouldn't be proposing reduction of the ID of the pipe because code says not to reduce the 1.25" ID to make the connections.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

It's a black plastic pipe and the fittings say 1-1/4. Let me know if I've got it wrong.

You have it right..

Now the choice... there are few to no 1 1/4 valves out there... either going to 1 1/2 or down to 1" will be the real choices that you have..

One thing that you might wish to look up is the head loss for 1 1/4 and 1 and see if there is a great difference....

most of the books that have any kind of table do not go below 10gpm on 1 1/4 pipe.....