new toilet - backs up...

Users who are viewing this thread

cdog

Reaction score
All,

Just had a new toilet put in. Since it was installed, when I run the shower in that bathroom, the toilet starts to "gurgle" and bubble. If I flush the toilet, the toilet (and the shower) back up. Both then drain very slowly.

This only started happening since the new toilet was put in. Seems like a blockage in the drain somewhere near where the toilet and the shower drains meet, but it seems very coincidental that I would get a blockage at the same time I had a new toilet installed. Never had a problem before.

Also - the plumber replaced the toilet flange and a small vertical section of drain pipe when he did the install. The flange was rusted out..

Any ideas? The plumber is coming back out on Thursday, but they are already claiming (without even looking), that it has nothing to do with their toilet install... I'm wondering if he dropped something down the drain when he was doing the work? Or could it be something else related to the install? Or is it just a coincidence?

Cdog

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

He could have dropped something down the hole, or left something in it when he set the toilet, it could be something else related to the install, or it could be coincidental. We don't know which, and you won't either until you find out the cause of the problem. It could also be a bad toilet if it was purchased at HD, Lowes, or similar.

cdog

Reaction score
Thanks - the toilet is a Toto Clayton - purchased at a local plumbing supply house. How could a bad toilet cause the shower to back up?

I'm really wondering if the guy dropped something in there, either accidentally, or on-purpose. I had been keeping a rag in the flange while the toilet was off. It was too big to fit down the flange... Put since the toilet was installed, I never saw that rag again...

C

cdog

Reaction score
rag

Terry - if it is a rag or some other large obstruction - do you reommend snaking the drain? Or do I need to pull the drain apart and retrieve the rag? Would snaking it just push the problem down the line somewhere?

C

cdog

Reaction score
well, plumbers came out, pulled the toilet, and snaked the hell out of the drain line. He didn't encounter any major obstructions (and oh - by the way, I found my rag in the garage). Everything seemed to be working well after the snaking - no bubbling when I run the shower...

So, fast forward to 3 days later, and the problem has started again....

Any suggestions? Could this be a vent problem? Or maybe he didn't get it all when he snaked?

C

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

It would only be a vent problem if you also have some other problem such as a clogged line. But, as to whether he didn't get it all, that is a possibility, but one we cannot tell for sure if it is the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks