Settting option for preformed shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

msrazmataz

Reaction score
I have purchased a pre-formed shower pan for a stand alone shower. It has a formed grid base on the bottom. Someone mentioned that there is a new foam type product to set such bases in versus using the old morter bed process.

Does anyone know if this true and if so the name/type of product and where it can be purchased?

Thanks so much for any information.

Kind regards,
msrazmataz

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your floor is not perfectly flat and level (and so is the pan!), mortar is still your best choice.

xdeaconx

Reaction score
why mortar as opposed to concrete? Is there ever a time to use one over the other?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Concrete will sag and run, mortar won't (if you use the right stuff) and will stay where you need it while is cures.

xdeaconx

Reaction score
Concrete will sag and run, mortar won't (if you use the right stuff) and will stay where you need it while is cures.

That makes perfect sense. What's the "right stuff" as far as mortar is concerned? Should it ever be used to finish off the leveling of the acrylic base?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Many people use deck mud, this is a mostly sand mix with enough portland cement to hold it together. It is closer to wet beach sand than what you think of as concrete that you'd make a sidewalk out of. Another substance that is used is Structolite (sp?).

xdeaconx

Reaction score
hmm, deck mud, I think i remember something about that over at john birdges website. Sounds like something I'd have to mix myself. Maybe i can find a recipe online somewhere.

EDIT
I found the site talking about deck mud, in case anyone else want's to see what it's all about
http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You can buy sand mix in bags. It is fine for setting a shower base. It's a little rich (too much cement) for a shower pan construction for some (too much cement makes it stickier and not as porous), but that means it will 'smush' easier than the mix with a higher sand content. Put a piece of tar paper or some plastic on the floor before setting it to prevent the wood from sucking too much moisture out.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you use foam you need to put somthing in the pan to weigh it down untli the foam finishes expanding and cures, otherwise it will push up on the shower pan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks