(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Settting option for preformed shower pan

DIY Junior Member

Default Settting option for preformed shower pan

I have purchased a pre-formed shower pan for a stand alone shower. It has a formed grid base on the bottom. Someone mentioned that there is a new foam type product to set such bases in versus using the old morter bed process.

Does anyone know if this true and if so the name/type of product and where it can be purchased?

Thanks so much for any information.

Kind regards,
    msrazmataz

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If your floor is not perfectly flat and level (and so is the pan!), mortar is still your best choice.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

why mortar as opposed to concrete? Is there ever a time to use one over the other?

Concrete will sag and run, mortar won't (if you use the right stuff) and will stay where you need it while is cures.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

foam will compress over time, while a properly set mortar bed will provide solid support!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Concrete will sag and run, mortar won't (if you use the right stuff) and will stay where you need it while is cures.
    That makes perfect sense. What's the "right stuff" as far as mortar is concerned? Should it ever be used to finish off the leveling of the acrylic base?

Many people use deck mud, this is a mostly sand mix with enough portland cement to hold it together. It is closer to wet beach sand than what you think of as concrete that you'd make a sidewalk out of. Another substance that is used is Structolite (sp?).
    Jim DeBruycker

hmm, deck mud, I think i remember something about that over at john birdges website. Sounds like something I'd have to mix myself. Maybe i can find a recipe online somewhere.

EDIT
    I found the site talking about deck mud, in case anyone else want's to see what it's all about
    http://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/
    Last edited by xdeaconx; 03-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.

You can buy sand mix in bags. It is fine for setting a shower base. It's a little rich (too much cement) for a shower pan construction for some (too much cement makes it stickier and not as porous), but that means it will 'smush' easier than the mix with a higher sand content. Put a piece of tar paper or some plastic on the floor before setting it to prevent the wood from sucking too much moisture out.
    Jim DeBruycker

got it jada, i'll look for the sand, portand mix.

thanks

If you use foam you need to put somthing in the pan to weigh it down untli the foam finishes expanding and cures, otherwise it will push up on the shower pan.