(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: what size hot water heater for a spa shower

Default what size hot water heater for a spa shower

Two people in home. We are installing a Kohler shower system with three water tiles, an overhead, a rainhead, and a hand-held (mostly for cleaning). I have the system set up to turn on each system separately. Based on that, what size gas hot water heater would be optimum for not running out of hot water in our spa shower with all of the valves operating? Thanks. Terry, love this site. Keeps coming up in my research.
    Any suggestions on a brand? I'm getting a good deal on a Kenmore presently, although I haven't researched anything yet. Anything worth checking out at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You need to determine what's the most of them you'd have running at the same time and how long you would use them. Each should have a gpm value listed for them. Only then can you figure this out.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yes, called Kohler today and I'll let my hubby (the physicist) do the math. Me? That's not my expertise. Thanks

You may find this thread useful in figuring out what makes most sense for you.

It takes a helvua tank to supply high flow rate showers for extended periods of time, but drainwater heat recovery systems can more than double the apparent-capacity of high flow systems (while using less fuel.)