black toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

DMC101

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a black toilet. I've heard from people who have owned black toilets that they do not like them due to water spots. We are putting in a water softener. Would that help a lot?
Also, if not, my granite in that powder bath is mostly black with some bluish and greyish streaks and with a black sink and don't think white would look good, so any suggestions? I think I'm going to purchase the Toto toilets after negative reviews on the Kohler Persuade. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I can't answer about the water spots, but be prepared for sticker shock when you price the same toilet in white verses black. Since the porcelain is white, there are lots more rejects when trying to cover it completely and evenly with a black glaze...the price goes up considerably. Not all models are available in black, but there are some.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, a black toilet (or any dark color) will be nearly double $$$. As far as color, try to get input from a "designer type" person at the showroom. There may be a color that coordinates with some of the colors in your granite. Committing to black porcelain...seems to me your entire color scheme will be controlled and limited by that.

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
A friend has a black toilet with a matching black sink. I appreciate fine design and doing things differently, but there's something sort of disturbing about it. I guess it's because 99% of the toilets we see are white. It's like, toilet = white. He's never complained about water spots though.

I think of all the color schemes that have been popular for toilets over the years -- in the 50s/60s it was pastel (we had a pink one when I was a kid, a friend had baby blue), in the 70's it was avocado green and yellow. All that stuff is in a landfill now or headed there. White is timeless.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you peruse the Toto toilets on this web site, you will find there are black Totos although not in every style. They cost from about $150 to over $200 more than white ones.

DMC101

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Seems I'm stuck with a black toilet because no other color will look good. Not happy about it, but the designer did the granite and sink and colors and so there's no other choice. Lesson for future home builders: Make sure the colors you're doing in the beginning take into consideration toilet color!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sell black toilets from time to time.
I't easier to replace with black if the color scheme has already been set for the room,
They do look kind of cool.
The CST416M-51 works well for that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The logic?
Sort of like a black car I guess.
Yes it shows dirt more, but it's black, and black does look kind of cool in a bathroom sometimes.
I should start taking pictures more while I'm on jobs.

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
I should start taking pictures more while I'm on jobs.
Done.

Here is a Ebony Drake II for my customer bathroom in my showroom. It goes well with the black tile and black "field destroy" Kohler sink in there as well. (the counter top is an orange corion with lights underneath to make it glow.)

IMAG0023..jpg

dany123

Reaction score
The toilet seat is unmistakably vertical, standing straight above the shimmering water in the black marble toilet bowl in the bathroom of the Playboy Mansion's den.

Considering who has just emerged from there, the evidence is incontrovertible. Hugh Hefner leaves the seat up.

What gives?

Shocked silence. Hefner has never heard of the toilet seat debate. He begins to laugh. "My consciousness raising only goes so far," he says, now giggling. (Although he normally wears his black silk pajamas, today he is wearing purple, special for company.) "It never occurred to me that one would put down the seat because the next person might be female. That's a unique notion."

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are two sides to the toilet seat debate! Growing up, there was mom, outnumbered by Dad and 3 boys. She KNEW if the seat was down, it was guaranteed that someone had peed on it! Her rule: that seat is UP at all times if you are not sitting on it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My first half dozen cars, (Lincolns and Rivieras), were all black. My girlfriend/wife said when I visited her in Wisconsin, they thought I was some Chicago mobster.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I have one bathroom in navy blue fixtures - CI tub, tiler and pedastal sink.
Look gorgeous when clean..

But just like black cars, it looks gorgeous when clean, but shows every dirt easily...

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
I have one bathroom in navy blue fixtures - CI tub, tiler and pedastal sink.
Look gorgeous when clean..

But just like black cars, it looks gorgeous when clean, but shows every dirt easily...

Grew up with a dark brown toilet and sink in the kid bath, because my mom thought it looked cool (which it did) -- but what a pain in the butt to keep clean. Two days without cleaning and the toilet looked dusty - two weeks without cleaning and the toilet bowl showed a mineral ring around the waterline. And the sink -- ack! The smallest iota of tooth paste or shaving cream screamed "You're not done cleaning yet!"

Dark fixtures look great in a guest bath, but I wouldn't put one in a daily-use bath unless I had a maid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks