Help with supply for Grohe Atrio Roman tub filler

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm installing a Grohe Atrio roman tub filler faucet. The supply lines I have are 1/2" (but 3/4" not too far back). The inlet to the valves are and spout are all 3/4" and was wondering if the supply should also be 3/4".

The rated flow for the faucet 13.2 gpm and it's filling a big darn tub. I don't want to sacrifice flow, so can get 3/4" supply if need be.

Also and this may answer the above question, but there are two valves, 1 hot 1 cold and you need to plumb from each supply to the valve and the outlet from the valves 'T' into the spout. How would it be best to plumb this? Should I sweat in threaded adapters and use flexible supply hose or sweat copper in between everything? Hose would probably a lot easier for me and not sure if I can safely sweat everything...very close to an acrylic tub! I assumed all the flexible stuff will be 1/2" tho.

I am leaving an access panel and this won't be getting inspected, so PEX is an option for me too.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flow through 3/4" is nearly double that of 1/2", so run 3/4" to your 3/4" valve. Pex is too restrictive for your application - while the outside is nominal for 3/4", the inside is barely bigger than 1/2" copper since the wall thickness is greater. You don't want any hoses in that connection. I'd solder it. You can buy heat shields to aid you in keeping heat away from parts you don't want to. Keep a spray bottle of water around, too. If you are not comfortable, a plumber might be a cheap alternative to ruining the tub.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If you have 3/4" trunks nearby, you should take advantage and run them to the tub. I wouldn't mess around with trying to solder inside the access port as you will only destroy the tub, and using braided flex hoses is a bad idea in a concealed space (even though there is an access panel). You are better off saving yourself a lot of grief like these guys are telling you and hire a plumber.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Grohe Atrio Roman Tub filler install

Hey all,

Am installing a Grohe atrio roman tub faucet and this is different from any faucet i have don as the spout and control valve are all separate.

Basically, each control value has 3/4" 'T' (sweat fittings). My supply is 1/2.

Would be very difficult to mount everything and sweat the joints as the tub deck is raised and I'd burn the tub up or something.

I guess i will need to sweat a threaded fitting and use flex hose.

Is this a big issue? It's going behind a tile access panel.

Also, 1/2 supply to this 3/4" faucet..is that ok?

grohe25048000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can prefab much of it before it's installed in the deck.
If you have 1/2", that will be fine. It's better with 3/4".
Don't use the flex connectors in that location. They reduce down to 3/8", which will increase fill time by quite a bit.
Also, once the tile goes in, you will have no way to replace them, and frankly, I don't consider the flex connectors are being permanent.

Normally, I solder on some street 90 els and point them down with sections of copper pipe. That gets me away from the deck, and then say about six inches below I can start to connect them up.

If this was run in 3/4", you would have 12.6 GPM at 45 psi

grohe_25048.jpg

Last edited:

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, terry!

I have messing w/ this project for too long...started awhile back and got side tracked...I see where I should have stayed focused...could have gotten to the 3/4 line if i done back when I started...but too late now, basement ceiling is finished now...will have to live w/ 1/2.

Will follow your advice tho and drop down to avoid the tube...will solder everything.

thanks again!!

harmonk

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
New to this site, and looking for info about a Grohe bathtub faucet. I am trying to replace washers etc inside it, and can't remember the order of some parts. Where did you get this exploded diagram? It would be a great help for me here.
Thanks in advance for any info. Cheers, Mk

You can prefab much of it before it's installed in the deck.
If you have 1/2", that will be fine. It's better with 3/4".
Don't use the flex connectors in that location. They reduce down to 3/8", which will increase fill time by quite a bit.
Also, once the tile goes in, you will have no way to replace them, and frankly, I don't consider the flex connectors are being permanent.

Normally, I solder on some street 90 els and point them down with sections of copper pipe. That gets me away from the deck, and then say about six inches below I can start to connect them up.

If this was run in 3/4", you would have 12.6 GPM at 45 psi

grohe_25048.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks