Shower valve and head/spout on opposite walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

bcinsd

Reaction score
Hi. Hoping I can get some advise on my kids bathroom remodel. It is a pretty small space and will have a 5' double vanity, the end of which will almost abut a perpendicular 5' alcove tub. My wife really doesn't like shower curtains or doors, so we've decided to install a shower screen. This will be located on the side of the tub next to the vanity. Therefore, the shower head and tub spout will need to be on that wall. I am, however, considering installing the valve on the opposite wall, so that it will be easy to turn on and adjust the water from outside the tub, without having to reach around the shower screen. I previously lived in a house with a shower stall (no tub / sliding doors) with a similar arrangement, and although it seemed strange at first, I quickly got used to it and found it quite convenient.

Does this arrangement make the plumbing much more difficult? Will this look odd over a tub? The old tub has been ripped out and the bathroom is down to the studs. The old tub had the valves where I would want them is the new tub, so the water supply is already located there.

Any reason not to go for this unusual setup?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the extra long distance from the control to the showerhead or spout, it will take a few seconds or longer to notice any changes you make. My personal preference for a shower is a thermostatically controlled valve. In most cases, you can set the temperature dial where you want it, and it will stay there, summer/winter/first user/end of tank. It only cools off when you run out of hot. The markings are generally pretty accurate, so individual users can preset the temp to their liking, turn on the volume, and wait a bit for it to stabilze without needing to actually test it. On most pressure balanced valves, you also have no volume control, it's either full on or off; most thermostatically controlled ones allow you to adjust the volume as well.

Most manufactures make valves like this. Delta is spoken of highly here. Mine is Grohe, and there are others.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I suggest this setup for alcove shower installations when a slide bar is requested. It may look strange as it's not standard, but stepping into an already warm shower will soon change that. You could put the valve on the opposite wall and recess shampoo/soap shelves above it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Turn the entire tub around so the drain and valve are at the same end. It will be awkward, and potentially hazardous to have to turn around in the shower to adjust the flow or temperature. It will be even more awkward to have to reach over your head to do it if you are using the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks