Plumber bailed...

Users who are viewing this thread

birdremodels

Reaction score
I had a plumber come into my 1938 brick house with finished basement to do a rough estimate. He gave me a parts list for me to buy (said he was not in this for the buck) and to give him a call when the concrete and pipes were dug out. Now he wont answer my calls...

SO. Here is what I am working with.
durkerdur.png

2step.png

My question here is, would the main stack vent (a wet vent from the toilet above) that would be roughly 4 to 5 ft away be enough to vent a toilet?

Also as a first timer when it comes to sewer drains, venting and running PVC. Is this a pretty easy tast to tie in to both lines?

Thanks for the help,

Bird

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That's a pretty big task for a first time project. I would see if you can find another plumber.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You cannot wet vent through the soil stack nor can you use any drain line coming from upstairs as a vent. You might be able to tee into the vent stack in the attic OR you will need to run a new vent through the roof.

I wouldn't try cutting that cast iron with a sawsall unless you get lots of free blades somewhere. A snap cutter is the proper tool.

Peter's idea is a good one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would not even consider doing a job where the customer bought the materials. I am "in it for the money", and as one customer told me once, "You cannot make money on labor alone." If that is a pipe visible in the ditch, it looks like it is going to be a problem. There is enough going on there that you might make a mistake when you start connecting things back together and still maintain vents for everything.

birdremodels

Reaction score
To clarify, it was a through my father-in-law and he knew the guy through somebody that worked for him. The guy was currently working in the indusrial plumbing business but would do us a favor and do as little and as much work as we wanted him to. As if it matters..

I will probably call someone else. Thanks for the help.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not trying to beat on you but that's a pretty complicated job, even for a pro. It will take you a week to cut through that with a sawzall and then getting the necessary fittings back in there is going to be a whole lot of no fun.

Cookie

Reaction score
No free lunch in this world. It will cost you more in the long run.
Be cautious of those who say, " it won't cost you anything." He might had seen the scope of work and had second thoughts. Your father- in- law meant well.

I would call someone else making sure to get a price on the work needed done. It will work out, you'll see.

Last edited:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
That sucks that the guy got you to buy the materials and then bailed afterwords. I'd return what you have bought so that you don't get stuck with it. You have exposed the piping system and the walls, which is good for getting estimates done, as this is too complicated for your skill level. You are probably going to have to expose more concrete to run proper vents, but how much depends on if you really have any dry vents there or not. Ahh renovations are fun.

Bens

Reaction score
I'm curious...is it always a no-no to wet vent through the stack? Is this just because it's the main stack, or are there issues even if you wet-vent through another vent on another level of the structure?

Thanks!
-ben

CharlieM

Reaction score
According to current code, it is a no-no. It wasn't always so and there are tons of existing homes with wet vent arrangements working fine; have been since they were built; and likely to continue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks