Sprinkler for long throw application, on 4' high post

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I have a somewhat unusual irrigation setup. It is a long story involving a clever sprinkler mfg that wasn't clever enough to stay in business.

Anyway, I am left with three each 4' high decorative columns with a 3/4" copper pipe in each. I would like to make some use of these without trenching a new system into my yard. Yes, it may not be ideal, but I should be able to get water onto the lawn without moving a hose every 1/2 hour.

I need to reach distances of up to 25', and water the area between the post and the far reaches of the sprinkler throw. The first thing that came to mind was the Rainbird style. The reach is adjustable, and they do seem to spray enough that shorter distances are wetted, as well as the long throw.

But there are lots of sprinklers out there on the market, so I thought I would ask here. I will be threading into 1/2" brass, and had contemplated teeing two sprinklers off each post to provide 360 degree coverage. Any ideas?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are many sprinklers that will reach 25 feet and rotate 360 degrees provided there is enough water pressure and water supply to operate them. The number of heads you have on a given zone and the size of the supply pipe will affect the pressure and flow so keep that in mind.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There's a great website called irrigationtutorials dot com. They have unbiased reviews of different sprinkler heads. The most common head for an application like this would be a "rotor" head and there are many good brands of these including Hunter and Toro.

Personally, I really like Toro "multi-stream" heads. These are really neat looking, since each head puts out something like 10 or 12 simultaneous streams of water which slowly rotate. Looks like a fountain! Could be really neat in your application. There are pictures in the website I mentioned above of these type of heads when you go the the review section, scroll down to the Toro section, and click on one of the multi-stream reviews.

Note: I have no financial interest to any sprinkler manufacturer, installer, or anyone else in the biz, but 30 years ago did do some installation work in the summer while going to college.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Almost all types of sprinkler heads need to overlap for coverage, because they tend to be dry in close. A sprinkler on a 4' post would be especially a problem. It sounds like something that is purely decorative.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on the distances between the posts the overlapping coverage would take care of the area around each sprinkler head. 25' is NOT a long reach for impact heads, but could be for the "multi port motor driven" ones since they have very small streams which do not reach a great distance.

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
I am left with three each 4' high decorative columns with a 3/4" copper pipe in each. I would like to make some use of these without trenching a new system into my yard. Yes, it may not be ideal, but I should be able to get water onto the lawn without moving a hose every 1/2 hour.

I need to reach distances of up to 25', and water the area between the post and the far reaches of the sprinkler throw. The first thing that came to mind was the Rainbird style. The reach is adjustable, and they do seem to spray enough that shorter distances are wetted, as well as the long throw.

But there are lots of sprinklers out there on the market, so I thought I would ask here. I will be threading into 1/2" brass, and had contemplated teeing two sprinklers off each post to provide 360 degree coverage. Any ideas?

First of all, you haven't told us where you are on the planet. Different jurisdictions have different watering restrictions in place. California, New Mexico, and Arizona can only use a 'low flow" restrictive type of sprinkler head.

Second, you said the you need 25' of coverage. Is that 25' to the edge of the yard? What the other posters have mentioned is that you should be getting a 'head-to-head' coverage pattern with your irrigation system. Head 1 should at least hit head 2, Head 2 shoud at lest hit head 1 and head 3, and so on. This coverage will eliminate any brown spots and give you even water coverage.

You can still use a low flow type of head if you have the pressure and the flow needed. Google MP Rotator. The 3000 series will go 30' in the right conditions.

For a conventional gear drive 360deg. coverage pattern, I would go with a 'shrub head' type if the pipe is exposed. The smalled shrub heads com in a 1/2" thread.

Mick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks