Installing a tempered glass backsplash on sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

FlynHokie

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am have a tempered glass counter for an above counter sink, which I installed last year. I recently purchased the tempered glass backsplash for it. This is a Ronbow product (see link from ********).

http://www.********.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=CT7018-S16

My question is, how do you install the backsplash? The instructions don't tell you anything, other than "Use Caution if installing with silicone, as it will be difficult to remove later" and "blobs and dabs of Silicon are visible through the glass"

Should I just smear a bunch of silicon evenly across the back of the glass, and press it inplace against the wall, then caulk the joint?

Thanks for the advice!

FlynHokie.

Last edited:

FlynHokie

Reaction score
Well, it won't let me post a website. Here is the model I have though:

Counter: Ronbow CTG2522-S16
Backsplash: Ronbow A2503-S16

Thanks for the advice.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If that glass backsplash is frosted, you can get away with using a small amount of clear silicone in the corners and around the edges, otherwise you will have to adhere it only around the edges and ensure it doesn't move while the caulking cures. Finishing work is not easy so take your time and do it properly.

sonorasprinkler

Reaction score
The best advice I would give you is to hire a professional who can do it for you.Don't mess around with water related items as they can cause lot of damage.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would absolutely contact the manufacturer. If they can't give you complete installation instructions, you should not be using their products.

Never having used glass products, I forsee issues, and would not do it until I had a chance to do a few test cases. For that, you should ask the manufacturer to provide you with some small sample pieces.
Even if the glass is frosted, the type of adhesive and method of application, and also the color and texture of the substrate can all affect the finished job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only way to adhere it without the adhesive being visible is by applying the "cement" around the edges. The glass will be tight to the wall, so there should be nothing that would push it away and break the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks