expansion tank missing

Users who are viewing this thread

68malibu383

Reaction score
I looked at a 1997 house today and the original gas water heater had been replaced with a Rinnai tankless. House was on a slab and around here, the expansion tanks are at the water heater. I have a feeling the tank was removed and not replaced. From what I understand, a tank is not needed if one has a regulator with an internal bypass. This looked like a standard regulator but was wrapped in insulation for the most part. Do the bypass regulators have a return line? So there would be three lines connected to it total, right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT have to have an expansion tank with a tankless, because they do NOT have expansion problems. Internal bypass regulators only work if the city pressure is within the limits of a safe pressure. They do not have any additional lines, because it is "internal".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks